Dear Editor,The CCJ’s President (equivalent of Chancellor in Guyana) celebrated 14 years of its existence on April 16 bragging about its 34 judgments. Does the court render fair objective rulings? Do the people of the region really want or trust the court or prefer to return to the London Privy Council? The Barbadian Prime Minister, Mia Mottley, described the court judges as “politicians in robes” and promises to pull her country out of it and return to the London Privy Council.Many of the CCJ’s judgments would not pass muster if appealed to the Privy Council. The late Queens Counsels, Fenton Ramsahoye and Karl Hudson Phillips, told me that Law Lords in England laugh at some of the judgments rendered by the CCJ. Other Senior and Queens Counsels I spoke with in Trinidad, Guyana, Jamaica, and Barbados said many of the rulings of the CCJ would have been reversed if appeals were allowed in the Privy Council. Politicians, lawyers, laymen and former judges I spoke with in the region say “thank God for the Privy Council” when referring to some of the judgments of the CCJ. In other words, they are saying their country’s judicial system is best protected with the Privy Council as the final court of appeal. Many said that the Law Lords would not have accepted the CCJ’s ruling that Parliament is supreme over the people in amending the Constitution. The British Government held a referendum on whether the UK could break away from the European Union.It is noted that the CCJ was launched without the approval of the people in the region. Of the four nations (Guyana, Barbados, Dominica and Belize) that accept the CCJ as the final court of appeal, not one of them held a referendum on accepting its jurisdiction. Referendums held in Grenada, Antigua and Barbuda and St Vincent and the Grenadines rebuffed the court as the final court of appeal; the people prefer the Privy Council. The Barbados Government had promised to hold a referendum before accepting the CCJ as its final court but changed course when public opinions revealed that the court would be rejected in a referendum vote. Instead, the Government joined the court without the promised referendum.In opinion polls I conducted in Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Barbados, Grenada, St Kitts, Antigua and Guyana, the population overwhelmingly oppose the CCJ as the final court of appeal for their country. In a survey I conducted just last week in Trinidad, voters reject the CCJ by two to one. Voters said they have greater faith in the Privy Council of London. The people feel that the Privy Council (dubbed as the White Man court) renders impartial justice.The seven judges of the CCJ and their staff should visit the four countries where the CCJ has jurisdiction to get the population’s view on the court. They will be surprised by the findings. If the Chief Justice (President Adrian Saunders) has faith in the court, he should urge the four Governments to hold a referendum on whether each should continue with having the CCJ as their final court of appeal or return to the Privy Council.The people in the region will be looking at the judgments in two upcoming important court cases relating to the appointment of GECOM Chair and the no-confidence motion — whether 33 is a simple majority and/or absolute majority of 65 and whether an absolute majority is needed for a no-confidence motion. The CCJ judgments will determine whether long-held mathematical concepts (like majority and absolute majority) have to be redefined and whether amendments to a Constitution have legality. Can a judge rule whether 3 is not greater than 2 and people accept it? Queens Counsels and Law Lords are having a field day in the UK upon learning that two judges say that 33 is not a majority (and not an absolute majority) of 65.Yours truly,Vishnu Bisram (PhD)
As reactions to President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf’s recent annual message on the affairs of the state continue to emerge, Nimba County District #8 lawmaker Larry P. Younquoi has expressed fear that the President’s silence on the rubber industry may leave ordinary Liberians out of jobs.Expressing the concern in an interview with the Daily Observer yesterday at his Capitol Building office in Monrovia, Rep. Younquoi said thousands of Liberians depend on the rubber industry for jobs, but the moratorium placed on it under Executive Order #56 has given Firestone the monopoly to determine the price of rubber as the sole buyer.Consequently, said the Nimba lawmaker, the price of the commodity has dropped leaving farmers and others who could employ underprivileged Liberians without the financial strength to do so.He contends that President William R. Tolbert, Jr. during his regime, created the Liberia Rubber Development Unit by statute, and National Transitional Government of Liberia (NTGL) Chairman, Gyude Bryant by an act of the Legislature created the Liberia Rubber Development Authority (LRDA) by statute.According to Rep. Younquoi, it is incoherent for an agency created by statute to be placed under a moratorium by an executive order, giving one company the monopoly to do rubber business in the absence of competition.He said the President would have done better by strengthening the existing institution in this environment where legislature exists instead of issuing Executive Order #56, which gets the Rubber Brokers Union out of business and leaves Firestone with the monopoly to purchase.Rep. Younquoi also recalled that in 2004 there was an LRDA act making the Rubber Planters Association of Liberia (RPAL) ineffective, but the RPAL is still operating and collecting US$2.50 from farmers.He disclosed that his complaints are currently on the desk of the House Speaker, and there is a need to discuss them in order to strengthen the LRDA.He said unemployment has the propensity to cause confusion in a country, adding that with the prevailing conditions in the rubber sector, government needs to discuss the problems in order to bring some “serenity” to the rubber sector.The lawmaker reiterated that as a result of the Executive Order, those who once competed in buying rubber are no longer doing so, making references to Weala and other groups that have become dormant because of the moratorium.Rep. Younquoi further argued that monopoly given Firestone under the Executive Order #56 will allow the American company to under declare its revenue which will consequently lead to under declaring taxes due to government.He said setting an independent regulatory body and allowing competition in purchasing the commodity will allow more revenues to be generated for the government.On the question of whether the lawmaker’s plea is meant for protection of his rubber farm, he rejected the idea that he was advocating in his own interest as a rubber farmer.Rep. Younquoi disclosed that his rubber does not reach production stage until seven years. Rather, he is seeking the interest of the Liberian people, for which he claims he has received awards from many citizen groups.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Staffing costs could go up in 2011 at City Hall, after a presentation made Monday.The 2011 Personnel Budget will be larger than last years, due to wage and benefit adjustments, staff additions as well as 2011 proposed changes.The 2011 Proposed Personnel Budget is an estimated $15,945,902 compared to the 2010 personnel budget, which was $14,840,137. Wage and benefit adjustments were an additional $793,801, staff additions from 2010 added $281,326 in 2011 and changes presented Monday will add $30,638.- Advertisement -Specifically, the proposed changes will include the hiring of recreational attendants, which will add roughly $145,000 and the hiring of staff for the upcoming election. A municipal election will also add a cost of $5,500 in staff time. Those increases have been offset by a savings of $119,788 in staff who are on maternity leave and a position that has been eliminated.Council will now decided if the proposed changes will be implemented into the 2011 operating budget.Before 2011 concludes, a five year staffing plan is to be developed. Some factors being considered include sustainability, work plans, economic factors and succession planning. Advertisement
Former Manchester United striker Louis Saha believes it could take a full year for Radamel Falcao to adapt to the English game.The Red Devils pulled off, what many regarded as, the biggest coup of the summer transfer window when they signed the Colombian on a season-long loan from Monaco.The 29-year-old arrived at Old Trafford with a reputation as one of the most feared strikers on the planet, but six months on he has scored just four goals.Saha believes it may take Falcao 12 months to get used to the physicality of the English game, but whether he gets that time remains to be seen.United have the option to buy Falcao for £43million at the end of the season, but with every poor performance from the Colombian, that seems more and more unlikely.“When you are in a different formation or different management then you have to adapt. It could take three months, six months or maybe a year before you understand it,” Saha said.“It happens to even the best players.“It happened to Patrice Evra here. For the first six months he was struggling. He didn’t seem to understand the physical nature of the game in England. But he changed into a terrific player.“Falcao is under pressure because of his contract. As a striker you want to score. When there is that amount of money involved you are under pressure.”Falcao’s latest sub-par display came on Monday when he was substituted after an hour of United’s 3-1 FA Cup win at Preston.United improved after the former Porto striker was hooked and United scored three quick goals to snuff out any chance of an upset and advance to a quarter-final with Arsenal.Falcao missed the World Cup due to a serious knee injury he sustained in January and since he moved to England, he has been troubled by a calf complaint.Saha, who suffered his fair share of injury problems during his five years at Old Trafford, understands what the striker is going through, and is sure he will be a success at the club eventually.“It is very hard. It is the hardest time in your life,” Saha said when asked about the difficulty of returning from long-term injuries.“You need to work with a team full of confidence. When I was coming back I had some team mate scoring goals every week so it was easier for me to adapt and just pick up some goals here and there. The pressure wasn’t as big.“I have sympathy with Falcao. I have no doubts about him. I know how hard it is to be a striker. There is always a lot of competition at this club.“It is a battle. But he has the quality to do a great job here.” Radamel Falcao and Angel di Maria 1
Manchester United duo Juan Mata and David De Gea 1 Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata insists David De Gea will remain professional and play his part for the side in the coming months despite the collapse of his dream move to Real Madrid on transfer deadline day.The 24-year-old was involved in one of the biggest sagas of the summer as Real chased his signature, but they eventually paid to price for dragging their pursuit on for too long.At one point it appeared De Gea could finally complete a return to his hometown, but the deal fell through at the eleventh hour due to a miscommunication which meant paperwork was not filed in time ahead of Tuesday’s 6pm deadline.The Spanish number one has now linked up with his national side ahead of Euro 2016 qualifiers against Slovakia and Macedonia, and midfielder Mata feels his club and international colleague will make the best of the situation.“He seems calm to me, like he always is,” Mata told AS.com. “He’s had a testing few days, but I’ve been his friend and by his side throughout.“It’s good that he’s here and just thinking about these two matches. He will be professional just like he always has been throughout his career.“David is a professional and he will remain that way. He’s a great goalkeeper and any team would be boosted by his presence. The fans will get behind him, and all of us.”Spain manager Vicente del Bosque earlier admitted it would be difficult for him to select De Gea in his European Championship squad for France if the goalkeeper remains on the sidelines at United.When asked if he would counsel the keeper about his current situation in Manchester, Del Bosque told Marca: “No, but if I do feel the need to talk to him about it then I will say something.“He needs to be professional and move on from this episode.“I hope that he starts playing again and is happy, and if he plays well we can bring him along, otherwise if he doesn’t play it will be very difficult for him to come [to the Euros].”
Nolito [second right] 1 Barcelona have joined Arsenal in the race to sign Celta Vigo striker Nolito this January.Arsenal have been heavily linked with a New Year move for the 29-year-old, who has scored seven in nine La Liga outings for his high-flying side so far this term.The Gunners reportedly want to land another front man to ease the burden on Olivier Giroud at centre-forward and Nolito is said to be high on Arsene Wenger’s wishlist.But the north London club may need to hold off interest from Barca if they wish to seal the deal after reports in Spain claimed the Catalan club have made Nolito their January transfer priority.El Mundo Deportivo have reported that manager Luis Enrique has three options to bolster his strike force and that Nolito is the one he prefers.Former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie and Ajax’s Anwar El Ghazi complete the trio.
Join Andy Goldstein and Jason Cundy for the best bits of Friday’s Sports Bar show.There is a selection of the best calls ahead of the final weekend in the Premier League and our controversial Catch Cundy segment.PLUS, the return of our new look POB feature and much, much more! Listen above or click here to subscribe and download from iTunes.
JIM McGuinness’ side impressed as they ran out 0-15 to 0-9 winners over Meath in Division Two of the National Football League at Páirc Tailteann, Navan today.Terry Skelly was sent off for Meath late on but that couldn’t take away from a brilliant perforance by Glenswilly’s Michael Murphy who hit 0-06 for Donegal.The Tirconaill men began the game well against an experimental Meath side – and our lads would have had their backs up having been tipped to lose or draw this game by the so-called pundits! Unlike the last gamed against Kildare there were plenty of points in the opening minutes with Donegal 0-3 to 0-2 ahead within ten minutes – and by the 2o minute the Ulster side had added four more points with no response from the Meath men.Ryan Bradley was torturing the Meath defence, pointing 0-3 by that stage.Meath pulled a couple of points back to leave Donegal ahead 0-7 to 0-4 at the break.And within 15 minutes of the re-start Donegal had again raced into a lead notching up four more scores to Meath’s single point. Meath couldn’t find any answers to Jim McGuiness’s side and despite pulling a couple of scores back Donegal went on to win 0-15 to 0-9 with Murphy the man of the match.In Hurling Donegal were beaten by Fingal.Here’s all of today’s scores….Allianz FL Division 1Kerry 0-16 Galway 0-08Armagh 2-10 Mayo 1-10Dublin 0-13 Monaghan 1-09Allianz FL Division 2Kildare 1-13 Laois 1-11Donegal 0-15 Meath 0-09Derry 0-11 Sligo 0-08Tyrone 1-16 Antrim 1-11 Allianz FL Division 3Limerick 2-14 Cavan 0-15Offaly 1-09 Louth 0-11Wexford 0-13 Westmeath 1-07Allianz FL Division 4Carlow 2-21 Kilkenny 3-1Roscommon 1-12 Fermanagh 1-09Wicklow 2-09 Longford 1-12Allianz HL Division 1Galway 4-14 Kilkenny 3-13Tipperary 1-20 Offaly 0-10Waterford 0-18 Cork 0-17Dublin 3-21 Wexford 2-15Allianz HL Division 2Antrim 0-10 Carlow 1-06Clare 5-22 Down 0-06Limerick 1-18 Laois 0-16 Allianz HL Division 3aKildare 2-16 London 1-15Meath 1-20 Armagh 1-17Wicklow 2-15 Derry 1-17Allianz HL Division 3bFingal 1-13 Donegal 1-07Mayo 3-12 Louth 2-14Sligo 1-12 Monaghan 2-08Allianz HL Division 4Longford 6-23 Cavan 1-01South Down 6-11 Leitrim 0-11Tyrone 1-09 Fermanagh 2-05MURPHY IMPRESSES AS DONEGAL CONTINUE THEIR UNBEATEN RUN IN LEAGUE was last modified: March 13th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Blake was acquitted of his wife’s murder in March, but Bakley’s children are suing him for damages, claiming he was responsible for her death. Blake did not testify at his criminal trial. In the civil trial, Blake said he took the gun from his waistband and put it beneath a purple sweat shirt he carried that night. He said he sat next to an aisle and placed the gun and shirt farther inside the booth. He told jurors the gun must have fallen to the floor during dinner. When he returned to the restaurant alone, he found it on the floor, he testified. Actor Robert Blake finished testifying Wednesday in a wrongful-death lawsuit against him by re-enacting a key portion of his alibi on the night his wife was killed. For the first time, the 72-year-old actor showed jurors how he retrieved his handgun from a booth at the restaurant where he and his wife, Bonny Lee Bakley, had dined on May 4, 2001. Blake said the couple left the restaurant after eating dinner. Moments later, he said he left Bakley in his parked car while he returned to the eatery to get a gun he carried for protection but had inadvertently left inside. When he returned to his car, he said, he found his wife shot to death.
Two fire engines and Gardaí attended the scene of a house fire this morning in Letterkenny.The blaze broke out at 8:15am at An Lagan, Killylastin, Letterkenny.Gardaí have told Donegal Daily that there were no injuries and there were no occupants in the house at the time. The source of the blaze is not yet known.Investigations are ongoing.Fire Service tackle Letterkenny house fire was last modified: October 25th, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:an laganfireGardaikillylastinletterkenny