Manchester United duo Juan Mata and David De Gea 1 Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata insists David De Gea will remain professional and play his part for the side in the coming months despite the collapse of his dream move to Real Madrid on transfer deadline day.The 24-year-old was involved in one of the biggest sagas of the summer as Real chased his signature, but they eventually paid to price for dragging their pursuit on for too long.At one point it appeared De Gea could finally complete a return to his hometown, but the deal fell through at the eleventh hour due to a miscommunication which meant paperwork was not filed in time ahead of Tuesday’s 6pm deadline.The Spanish number one has now linked up with his national side ahead of Euro 2016 qualifiers against Slovakia and Macedonia, and midfielder Mata feels his club and international colleague will make the best of the situation.“He seems calm to me, like he always is,” Mata told AS.com. “He’s had a testing few days, but I’ve been his friend and by his side throughout.“It’s good that he’s here and just thinking about these two matches. He will be professional just like he always has been throughout his career.“David is a professional and he will remain that way. He’s a great goalkeeper and any team would be boosted by his presence. The fans will get behind him, and all of us.”Spain manager Vicente del Bosque earlier admitted it would be difficult for him to select De Gea in his European Championship squad for France if the goalkeeper remains on the sidelines at United.When asked if he would counsel the keeper about his current situation in Manchester, Del Bosque told Marca: “No, but if I do feel the need to talk to him about it then I will say something.“He needs to be professional and move on from this episode.“I hope that he starts playing again and is happy, and if he plays well we can bring him along, otherwise if he doesn’t play it will be very difficult for him to come [to the Euros].”
8 8. Manchester City made £42m in gate receipts in 2014 – to find out which European clubs made more money from matchdays last year, click the arrow above 8 8 8 4. Barcelona made £86m in gate receipts in 2014 8 8 5. Bayern Munich made £80m in gate receipts in 2014 Bayern Munich fans protested about the price of attending their club’s match at Arsenal this week, but where do the Bavarian giants figure, especially compared to the Gunners, in the European gate receipt rankings?UEFA have released detailed statistics and we can reveal the top eight, in the slideshow above.Take a look at the results and let us know what you think of the ranking and revenue by leaving a comment below. 2. Arsenal made £88.2m in gate receipts in 2014 7. Liverpool made £44.1m in gate receipts in 2014 1. Real Madrid made £88.9m in gate receipts in 2014 8 3. Manchester United made £87.5m in gate receipts in 2014 6. Chelsea made £58.1m in gate receipts in 2014 8
Nolito [second right] 1 Barcelona have joined Arsenal in the race to sign Celta Vigo striker Nolito this January.Arsenal have been heavily linked with a New Year move for the 29-year-old, who has scored seven in nine La Liga outings for his high-flying side so far this term.The Gunners reportedly want to land another front man to ease the burden on Olivier Giroud at centre-forward and Nolito is said to be high on Arsene Wenger’s wishlist.But the north London club may need to hold off interest from Barca if they wish to seal the deal after reports in Spain claimed the Catalan club have made Nolito their January transfer priority.El Mundo Deportivo have reported that manager Luis Enrique has three options to bolster his strike force and that Nolito is the one he prefers.Former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie and Ajax’s Anwar El Ghazi complete the trio.
As part of our build up to the new year, we reveal the most popular content on talkSPORT.com for every month of 2015. This time, it is our pick from May…BEST OF TALKSPORT.COM: MAY 2015MOST VIEWED STORYWhen Liverpool were thrashed 6-1 on the final day of the Premier League season, one supporter was distraught when he rang talkSPORT, calling for a new manager to restore the glory days. Listen to the ‘heart broken’ chap here.MOST POPULAR INTERVIEWBefore Arsenal’s FA Cup win, Olivier Giroud chatted with talkSPORT and played ‘snog, marry, avoid’ when discussing his team-mates. Find out the striker’s choices here.MOST POPULAR FEATURESteven Gerrard had a little dig at Chelsea supporters when he played against them explaining it was ‘nice of them to turn up for once’ as he received a standing ovation from the fans as he left the Stamford Bridge pitch. So talkSPORT decided to find out who fans thought were the WORST supporters, which you can see here.TALKSPORT.COM PICK OF THE MONTHLionel Messi was excellent against Bayern Munich in the Champions League as Barcelona sealed a place in the final. Later, the player revealed he was actually from another planet.*DISCLAIMER: The subtitles are about as accurate as Bayern Munich’s front line was against Barca. 1 Lionel Messi ‘revealed’ he is actually from another planet
Goalkeeper Willy Caballero welled up on the Wembley turf after winning the Capital One Cup for Manchester City.The Argentinian’s place in City’s starting line-up came under scrutiny after some unconvincing performances in the competition, with regular stopper Joe Hart waiting in the wings.But boss Manuel Pellegrini stuck by Caballero for the final and was repaid as the 34-year-old saved three shoot-out penalties for a 3-1 win after the tie had ended 1-1 after extra-time.“It’s a shame we conceded a goal because we defended really well today,” said Caballero.“It was really important that we won this trophy, for the team and for myself.“I watched all the penalties last night but I talked with my goalkeeper coach and with Joe [Hart] now but I like to make my decision when I’m in goal.“It was a really hard week for me with the decision [to not play Hart] for the coach but now I don’t have to say anything, I just have to enjoy and feel great in this moment.”Victorious City manager Pellegrini added: I think we deserved to win the game, we missed too many chances, played better than Liverpool.”On sticking with Caballero, he added: “I prefer to win it this way, because I was pleased to win the title for the players, fans, the staff but for Willy.“I preferred to lose the title than lose the word (of picking him). We are working hard, in the middle of the season, it is important for us to keep fighting now.“I was concerned about the amount of chances we missed. After that we played better in extra-time.“It’s a very important moment, and it’s always very special to win a title at Wembley.”
BAY LEAGUE: With Baucham’s big second half, Warriors keep their hopes alive. By David Saunders Staff Writer Coming into Friday’s game at Peninsula, preseason darling West Torrance had one foot in the grave. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre The extremity was swollen, then iced, then rested, then taped, then tested. The foot was Brian Baucham’s and it proved strong enough to give the Warriors some semblance of a leg to stand on. So with its playoff aspirations hanging on the slimmest of hopes, West opted to put the ball and the game in its surest of hands. Baucham didn’t disappoint. The running back had 132 of his 138 rushing yards and both of his scores during a second half in which he paced West to a 23-0 Bay League win over host Peninsula. The win puts West (6-2-1, 1-2-1) alone in fifth place, a half of a game behind Peninsula (4-5, 2-2) and Leuzinger for the league’s final postseason berth. A Peninsula loss to first-place Palos Verdes next week and a West win over visiting Leuzinger would complete the Warriors’ comeback. “Everyone thought that we were going to fall apart, but we came out here and proved that we have got that swagger back,” Baucham said. “I’m happy that we were able to prove ourselves to the people who doubted us. This is a big win.” Baucham lined up for only one play in the first quarter and didn’t get his first touch until the second, which resulted in a 4-yard run. His first carry on West’s second play after intermission eclipsed that and then some. Baucham ran off-tackle to the right side, shedding a would-be tackler and outrunning the rest of the Peninsula defense down the sideline for a 62-yard score. He later scored on a 3-yard run with less than four minutes left to ice the game for West. “We wanted to feel out (Peninsula) and we were doing a good job without him so we held him out a little longer,” West coach Greg Holt said. “What he did in the second half made the difference.” West quarterback Ronnie Clark did his part, finishing 13-for-19 for 173 yards passing. Watching its offense reverse its fortunes, West’s defense couldn’t help but follow suit. The Warriors dominated the line of scrimmage, recording eight tackles for loss and three sacks. The result was a paltry 132 yards of total offense for Peninsula. That coupled with five penalties for 25 yards resulted in three-and-outs on six of the team’s nine possessions and only three first downs. “Our coach always tells us whoever takes control of the line of scrimmage takes control of the game and I thought we did that today,” West lineman Ross Campbell said. “Getting the shutout is really going to help us get back to where we need to be.” Campbell had two sacks as he and his linemates held Peninsula only 6-yards rushing in the second half, a far cry from last week’s performance when Ryan Solomon gained 190 yards in the fourth quarter alone. Special teams was another sore spot for Peninsula, which had one of its long snaps sail into, then out of the end zone for a third-quarter safety. “That was about as complete of a butt-kicking as we’ve taken in my eight years here,” Peninsula coach Tony Uruburu said. “You’ve got to give them credit. They came out motivated had a good game plan to back it up.” firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Bowing to pressure from City Council members, a developer agreed to pay an additional $20,000 in relocation costs for tenants evicted from a Valley Village apartment building to clear the way for approval of a condominium project. Developer Gary Schaffel, under terse questioning from Councilman Bill Rosendahl, agreed to make the additional payment to end the controversy that had surrounded his project after a city planner mistakenly left a telephone message with a tenant promising the developer would win approval “no matter what.” Former tenants in the building played the taped message at hearings, and raised concern that the project approval process had been tainted. They also appealed the project, saying the developer should have paid higher relocation fees recently enacted by the city. But they defended the decision Chiang had reached in approving the tract map for the development. Schaffel said he felt sorry for Chiang. “Had I gotten that message on my phone, I wouldn’t have taken it as anything more than the conditions of the appeal had no merit and would be rejected,” he said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThe agreement by Schaffel won him approval, on a 11-0 vote, for the project to build 78 units at 11933 Magnolia Boulevard. Schaffel said he had already given $20,000 for tenant relocation money above what was legally required. But he said he was willing to pay tenants an additional $20,000 for “peace of mind” and to get his project moving. Councilwoman Wendy Greuel, in whose district the project is located, said she was upset by the telephone call made by planner Jack Chiang, but that it did not change the reasoning for approval of the project. “I’m pleased that we were able to get the additional money for tenants,” Greuel said, but added: “The process was a messy process that didn’t necessarily make the city look good, but the desired outcome was achieved.” Officials in the Planning Department roundly criticized Chiang for his telephone call and said he is being disciplined.
1 Former Nottingham Forest midfielder Michail Antonio was overlooked by Roy Hodgson West Ham midfielder Michail Antonio has revealed he turned down Jamaica’s advances in the hope he will one day be able to play for England.Roy Hodgson named his Three Lions squad for the upcoming fixtures against Germany and Holland, including uncapped Leicester midfielder Danny Drinkwater but overlooked West Ham captain Mark Noble.Hodgson confirmed he ‘deliberately ignored’ some England regulars to blood new talent ahead of the Euros and Antonio was one of those to miss out on the 24-man squad. Hammers fans have been impressed by Antonio since joining from Nottingham Forest last September. The 25-year-old has netted three goals in his last four games and has been tipped for an opportunity with the Three Lions.He told BBC Sport: “Jamaica called but if I keep doing what I’m doing hopefully I can get an England call.“You see it with Dele Alli, he’s come from League One and he’s already in the England squad, you see it with [Jamie] Vardy. “Hopefully I can get the call-up as well.”
Jermain Defoe is unlikely to get called up to England’s Euro 2016 squad because ‘his time has probably just gone’, according to former Southampton hero Matt Le Tissier.It was announced that Roy Hodgson will now name his squad for the tournament on Monday (May 16) and Defoe has been tipped as a late contender.The Sunderland striker is in red-hot form this season, scoring 18 goals in 33 appearances and he has vast experience on the international stage. The 33-year-old has 55 Three Lions caps to his name, the most recent coming in November 2013.“Fifteen [Premier League] goals this season in a team that’s struggled and not created that many chances – it’s a phenomenal achievement,” ex-England striker Le Tisser told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“He’s only beaten that once before in his career.“Is it going to be enough to get him in the squad? I probably think not because of [Harry] Kane, [Jamie] Vardy and [Wayne] Rooney.“I think they are the ones in pole position and I think Jermain’s time has probably just gone.”Should Defoe go to the Euros? If yes, in place of who? Comment with your thoughts, below…
WASHINGTON – They’re the odd couple again: George W. Bush and Hillary Clinton, the most admired man and woman in America. Though they stand on opposite sides of a political divide, the Republican president and the Democratic senator from New York are sharing the honor for a sixth straight year, according to a USA Today-Gallup poll. They didn’t win by much. Oprah Winfrey and Clinton’s husband, former president Bill, were right behind. The president has won the most-admired title every year since 1981. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson – The Associated Press 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!