Jul 28 FDA news releasehttp://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2004/ucm108333.htm The FDA recommends that caregivers carefully examine all food product packaging, including anti-tampering devices such as lid safety buttons. (See link below for more information.) A man identified as a possible witness in the case spoke briefly with police in late July. The FBI and the Orange County District Attorney’s office were investigating the incidents as cases of food tampering. The AP quoted two federal law enforcement officials as saying there was no evidence of any widespread ricin contamination of baby food. The tampering incident caused no illness and apparently was confined to the Irvine, Calif., area, the FDA said in a Jul 28 news release. FDA analysis of the two jars of Gerber Banana Yogurt showed only castor beans. Ricin can be extracted from castor beans—which come from a widely available ornamental plant—and purified to a powerful poison. However, the material found in the baby food was far less toxic than purified ricin, the FDA said. See also: FDA information on detecting food tamperinghttp://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodDefense/ucm079231.pdf The Associated Press (AP) reported Jul 29 that a man contacted Irvine police on Jun 16 to tell them he had found a note inside a jar of baby food, warning that it had been contaminated. A similar case had been reported by an Irvine couple on May 31, police said. A note was also found inside that jar. Aug 3, 2004 (CIDRAP NEWS) – Two baby food jars in California were found to contain the remains of ground-up castor beans but not purified ricin, the deadly poison derived from castor beans, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced last week. A 9-month-old girl and a 1-year-old boy ate small amounts of the food but had no symptoms, Dr. David Acheson, chief medical officer with the FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, told the AP. Gerber Products Co. released a statement Jul 28 saying the company had been told the product tampering did not occur at its facilities and that the company was not a target. Nonetheless, the company removed the Banana Yogurt from all southern California stores, not just the Ralph’s grocery in Irvine where the two tampered jars were bought, according to a Reuters report.
Two Indonesian sport associations have decided to boost their athletes fighting spirit through exhibition tournaments despite the country’s increasing number of COVID-19 cases.The Indonesian Tennis Association (Pelti) and Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) have tailored the tournaments to be part of their preparations for future local and international events, including the Tokyo Olympics, which has been postponed to July to August next year due to the outbreak.Pelti recently concluded a three-week tournament for its women’s squad, with all of its players competing in singles and doubles’ matches with a round-robin format. Topics : The competing players were 2019 Southeast Asian (SEA) Games gold medalists Aldila Sutjiadi, Beatrice Gumulya and Jessy Rompies, as well as juniors Priska Madelyn Nugroho, Janice Tjen and Rifanty Dwi Kahfiany.Aldila, who ranks 378th in the Women Tennis Association (WTA), won the singles category, defeating Jessy in a July 1 final. After the tournament, Aldila acknowledged that she was still unsure about competing in the near future because of the COVID-19 pandemic. She added that one tournament was scheduled to take place in Thailand in August, but she was hesitant about attending.Australian Open junior girls doubles champion Priska was grateful for the tournament, saying that the three-week event had allowed her to practice her skills with the racket. “It feels great to be back playing matches and feeling that exciting atmosphere again,” Priska wrote on her Instagram account after completing the three-week simulation tournament. Veteran player Christopher Rungkat claimed victory of the men’s singles category after defeating Rifqi Fitriadi 7-5, 6-4. The men’s doubles victory was secured by the Rifqi Triadi and M Gunawan pair.All the men’s and women’s simulation tournaments were held at the Gelora Bung Karno (GBK) sports complex in Senayan, Central Jakarta. Though it was open to the public, the tournament did not attract many spectators to the arena.Unlike Pelti, which decided to hold the tournament at the GBK’s tennis stadium, the PBSI organized a simulation tournament at its training camp in Cipayung, East Jakarta, which closed its doors to the public at the beginning of the pandemic in March.The month-long tournament, sponsored by homegrown streaming services Mola TV, started in late June with the men’s doubles being the first category to be contested. As of the second week of July, the Mola TV PBSI Home tournament has featured games from three categories, namely men’s doubles, mixed doubles and men’s singles. The women’s doubles and women’s singles games will be held next week.In the men’s doubles category, players were not paired up with their usual partners on the court but with new players, with veterans and juniors paired together for the first time. Fajar Alfian — who is usually paired with Muhammad Rian Ardianto — and his junior partner Yeremia Erich Yoche cane out as winners.Meanwhile, 2020 All England champions Praveen Jordan and Melati Daeva Oktavianti were still too strong for their compatriots as they won the final against Akbar Bintang Cahyono and Winny Oktavina Kandauw.Meanwhile, Anthony Sinisuka Ginting defeated Shesar Hiren Rustavito in the men’s singles final. PBSI secretary general Achmad Budiharto said the exhibition tournament was a chance for coaches to study their player’s current condition in terms of physical and technical readiness. “This could be an evaluation for them, so they can be ready for a real tournament,” he said as quoted by badmintonindonesia.org. “The players felt the benefits of this tournament. Many of them previously thought that a home tournament would be like a regular match amid their daily training, but they were quite surprised as we designed the competition to have the atmosphere of a real tournament.”International badminton competitions are scheduled to start in early September with the Taiwan Open as the first major tournament to take place after the pandemic-induced hiatus.
Breakdancing, sport climbing, skateboarding and surfing have been touted as the favourites to be included as additional sports on the Olympic Games programme for Paris 2024.French radio station France Info has claimed a final decision is expected to be made by organisers on Thursday (February 21). This has reportedly been denied by Paris 2024.Paris 2024 is due to submit its recommendations for new sports before the International Olympic Committee Executive Board is due to meet in Lausanne from March 26 to 28. The IOC Session in June will then offer provisional approval before the new additions are officially confirmed by the Executive Board in December 2020.Sport climbing, skateboarding and surfing were all included on the Tokyo 2020 programme as additional sports.The trio are hoping to remain on the programme, along with baseball/softball and karate, which were also added by Japanese organisers.Breakdancing’s prospects are believed to have been boosted by the sport’s appearance at the last year’s Summer Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires.The Games in Argentina’s capital city marked breakdancing’s debut at an Olympic competition.A proposal for breakdancing’s inclusion was put forward by the French Dance Sport Federation led by Charles Ferreira.Breakdancing’s potential inclusion has earned criticism in some quarters, however, with a debate over who represents the sport emerging.The World Dance Sport Federation (WDSF) is responsible for overseeing the sport’s inclusion at Buenos Aires 2018.Erwin Mahroug, President of breakdancing media company bboyworld, has claimed the community has not been involved in any attempts to include it at Paris 2024.The company, which claim it has over five million subscribers, helped in the selection of breakdancers at Buenos Aires 2018.Mahroug wrote that the “breakin community was quite angry on how the Youth Olympic Games unfolded and voiced their negative opinion throughout various global media platforms”, adding that a lobbyist and owner of an investment company have been behind the effort.“These two individuals have projected to the WDSF and the IOC that they are the voice of the breakin community,” Mahroug wrote.“However, this is not the case.“Up until the leak of the news that the IOC will be voting on whether breakin will be included in the 2024 Games, the breakin community has been in the dark.“We will not engage, again, to support these two individuals.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram