Gov. Wolf: PAsmart is Creating the Skilled Workforce that Businesses Need

first_img PAsmart,  Press Release,  Workforce Development Harrisburg, PA – After delivering on his bold budget plan to invest in education and job training for Pennsylvania workers, Governor Tom Wolf today visited Phoenix Contact USA near Harrisburg to highlight how his PAsmart initiative is expanding apprenticeships and other job training opportunities.“PAsmart is investing in training people to have the skills and experience that growing businesses need to thrive,” said Governor Wolf. “By closing the training gap, we can ensure workers can compete for good, well-paying jobs and every employer can find the talented people it needs to succeed and grow our economy.”The governor launched the innovative PAsmart initiative last year and secured a $10 million increase to $40 million for the program this year. PAsmart provides $20 million for science and technology education, $10 million for apprenticeships and job training, and new this year, an additional $10 million for career and technical education.“Pennsylvania businesses are hiring, but they can’t find enough skilled workers for all of the open jobs,” said Governor Wolf. “PAsmart recognizes that a four-year college isn’t for everyone, but people need the job training that apprenticeships and career and technical education provide.”In the first year of PAsmart, the Department of Labor & Industry awarded grants to more than 100 pre-apprenticeship and registered apprenticeship programs serving over 2,600 workers. Apprenticeships give workers the opportunity to earn a paycheck while learning and gaining on-the-job training with an employer.Apprenticeship opportunities are available in traditional industries such as welding, machining, carpentry and plumbing, as well as non-traditional industries, including mental health services, human services, early childhood education, scientific research, and information technology.“Data is showing that the path to prosperity for the next generation of students no longer runs exclusively through a four-year college,” said Eric D. Palmer, executive director of the Greater Altoona Career & Technology Center. “Graduates earning industry certifications, who have combined their technical skills with rigorous and challenging academic accomplishments, will form the foundation of our state’s rapidly evolving economy. “PAsmart also invests in Pennsylvania’s nationally leading Next Generation Industry Partnerships, which create collaboration among businesses to improve the training for their workforce.Other workforce development accomplishments under Governor Wolf include:• Increasing the number of apprentices in Pennsylvania to 16,682;• Increasing the number of career and technical education (CTE) students earning industry-recognized credentials by 34.2 percent;• Increasing the number of credentials earned by students enrolled in CTE programs by 27.2 percent;• Advancing Pennsylvania to third in the nation in the number of nationally recognized STEM ecosystems and making the commonwealth the fifth largest producer of STEM graduates;• Approving more than $4 million in funding through the new Manufacturing PA initiative for nine new training programs across Pennsylvania to give more than 340 job seekers the skills they need to secure a stable, high-paying job in manufacturing.Governor Wolf has set a goal of increasing the number of workers with training after high school from 47 percent to 60 percent by 2025.At Phoenix Contact USA, the governor met several apprentices while touring the manufacturing and logistics sections of the company’s Dauphin County facility. July 09, 2019 Gov. Wolf: PAsmart is Creating the Skilled Workforce that Businesses Needcenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

The Latest: Sacramento’s Hield wins 3-Point Contest

first_imgThe Latest: Sacramento’s Hield wins 3-Point Contest Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditCHICAGO (AP) — The Latest on Saturday night at NBA All-Star weekend. (all times local):8:44 p.m.Sacramento Kings guard Buddy Hield made a late surge to win the NBA 3-Point Contest. Commissioner Adam Silver announced the move on Saturday. Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna were among nine people killed when their helicopter crashed into the side of a mountain near Los Angeles on Jan. 26.Bryant became the youngest player to ever play in an All-Star Game when he made his debut in 1998 at age 19. He made the All-Star team 18 times during his stellar career with the Los Angeles Lakers, winning the MVP award a record-tying four times.Silver says Bryant “is synonymous with NBA All-Star and embodies the spirit of this global celebration of our game.”___4:00 p.m. Associated Press Lillard is averaging 29.5 points and 7.9 assists. “Tough injury,” he said during Saturday’s All-Star media session. “Came at a tough time. Fortunate for me, that game was on the 12th, we don’t play again until the 21st. So that’s at least nine days of being able to see where I am, get some treatment, do some rehab and go from there.”___More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/NBA and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports There were also two green balls worth three points set up six feet behind the 3-point line.___7:38 p.m.Miami’s Bam Abedayo has won the All-Star skills challenge.Abedayo narrowly defeated Indiana’s Domantas Sabonis in the final in a matchup of All-Star big men. He shared a hug with former Heat star Dwyane Wade after accepting the trophy. Abedayo eliminated 2018 champion Spencer Dinwiddie and Raptors star Pascal Siakam in the first two rounds on the obstacle course. Sabonis advanced with victories over defending champion Jayson Tatum and Milwaukee’s Khris Middleton.The 22-year-old Abedayo is in the middle of a breakout season, averaging 15.8 points, 10.4 rebounds and 4.9 assists in 54 games for the Heat.___6:43 p.m.The NBA has renamed its All-Star Game MVP award in honor of Kobe Bryant. Toronto Raptors and All-Star coach Nick Nurse was in Las Vegas last summer when he got the news that Kawhi Leonard was leaving the defending champions after just one season to join the Los Angeles Clippers.Soon after, Nurse headed down to the hotel lobby and ran into two of his players, Pascal Siakam and Fred Van Vleet.“I thought the guys might need some cheering up, so I said, ‘Hey, look at it this way: Kawhi leaving means we just freed up something like 20 shots per game,” Nurse said.It was 18.8 per game to be precise, but who’s counting? Well, plenty of Leonard’s former teammates, apparently.“Siakam immediately starts doing this,” Nurse laughed, swinging his right arm in widening circles, like a baseball pitcher loosening up before entering a game. “And Van Vleet just breaks into a crazy grin.” Small wonder. Those two became the biggest beneficiaries of Leonard’s departure. Siakam is averaging 7.3 more shots and 6.6 more points per game at the break; Van Vleet, 5.3 and 7, respectively. The remainder of Leonard’s shots were scooped up by Kyle Lowry and OG Anunoby.___3:55 p.m.Portland Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard is grateful for the All-Star break.He had to pull out of the All-Star Game and Saturday night’s 3-point competition after he strained his groin during Wednesday night’s 111-104 loss to Memphis. He was replaced by Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker. February 15, 2020 Hield nailed a two-point money ball from the corner to finish with 27 points, edging Phoenix Suns All-Star Devin Booker by one in the final round.Hield is one of the few bright spots for struggling Sacramento, averaging 20.4 points while shooting about 39 percent from 3-point range.Washington’s Davis Bertans opened the second and final round with a 22, before Booker eliminated him.Defending champion Joe Harris of the Brooklyn Nets and Chicago’s Zach LaVine were eliminated after they failed to crack the top three in the first round.Five racks with five balls each were set up around the perimeter — two in the corner, two on the wings and one up top. Four of those racks had four balls worth one point each plus a multi-colored two-point ball. The other had nothing but moneyballs.last_img read more

Figo proposes 48-team World Cup

first_imgFormer Portugal winger Luis Figo launched his campaign for the FIFA presidency on Thursday by revealing plans to expand the World Cup to up to 48 teams.Unveiling his manifesto at Wembley Stadium in London, the 42-year-old said the expansion of the quadrennial tournament from its current 32-team format would be “weighted towards non-European teams”.One of his proposals for the World Cup is to split it into two 24-team tournaments played simultaneously on two different continents, followed by a final knockout stage in one country.Another of his key proposals is the distribution of half of FIFA’s wealth – $2.5-billion (2.19-billion euros) – directly to its member associations for spending on grassroots football.The former Barcelona and Real Madrid superstar also called for the restoration of the ‘old’ interpretation of the offside rule, “where a player is judged offside whether directly involved in the play or not”.Figo is standing against incumbent Sepp Blatter, Dutch football chief Michael van Praag and FIFA vice-president for Asia Prince Ali bin Al Hussein in the FIFA presidential election on May 29.last_img read more