‘Urgent response needed’ The “green” economy must form part of South Africa’s development and job creation agenda, President Jacob Zuma said at the launch of the COP 17 flagship solar power plant in Hazelmere, KwaZulu-Natal on Sunday. In the country’s Integrated Resource Plan (IRP2010) – a 20-year projection on electricity supply and demand – about 42% of electricity generated in South Africa is required to come from renewable resources. Zuma said the African continent was abundant with renewable energy sources that needed to be harnessed in building an inclusive and sustainable economy. “We have spoken a great deal about using cleaner sources of energy. Today we reaffirm that commitment and determination to move towards a low-carbon economy.” The plant is a result of a partnership, incorportating a skills development component, between Soitec and the Ethekwini Municipality. “If we do nothing, climate change will leave us with uninhabitable wastelands and socio-economic disasters,” Zuma said. The President called on experts attending the UN Climate Change Conference (COP 17), currently underway in Durban, to help South Africa explore the possibility of scaling up its renewable energy option in its energy mix. “This renewable energy project also confirms our view that we cannot separate climate change responses from our goals of pursuing development and poverty eradication,” he said. “Pursuing the green economy must be linked to our overall agenda of pursuing employment creating growth, and inclusive growth that improves the lives of our people.” Zuma said the world had gathered in Durban because of the realisation that an urgent response to climate change, which also affects South Africa, had to be reached. He said the COP 17 flagship solar plant had to improve the lives of the people of Hazelmere and its surroundings, by creating job opportunities among other things. 5 December 2011 Source: BuaNews
Cracks in the NDA in Bihar are out in open, with Union Minister and Rashtriya Lok Samata Party (RLSP) leader Upendra Kushwaha accusing Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar of targeting him, following reports of the JD(U) wooing two of his legislators.Mr. Kushwaha’s comments came minutes after his meeting with the opposition leader and former JD(U) president Sharad Yadav. Mr. Yadav had walked out of the party last year after Mr. Kumar joined hands again with the BJP. Since then he has been rallying opposition parties to form an anti-BJP front.“Nitish Kumar has a habit of breaking parties. I do not know why he has come down to destroy me and my party. But no matter what he does, he cannot harm me,” Mr. Kushwaha told reporters with Mr. Yadav standing by him.His meeting with Mr. Yadav has given rise to speculations that he may finally be switching sides. Calling Mr. Yadav, his marg darshak or guide, he said the meeting was merely to discuss issues related to social justice. Apart from his differences with Mr. Kumar, Mr. Kushwaha has been unhappy with seat sharing formula evolved by the BJP. In 2014, RLSP contested and won three seats. But in 2019, he may get only two seats.He had earlier met with Rashtriya Janata Dal leader Tejashwi Yadav.The latest outburst against JD(U) chief is because of reports that RLSP MLA Sudhanshu Shekhar met newly appointed JD(U) vice-president Prashant Kishor. He along with another legislator Lalan Paswan are rumoured to switch loyalities to the JD(U).Mr. Kushwaha said the BJP must intercede in the ongoing tussle between him and Bihar Chief Minister. “We are both in NDA and we are supposed to work together. I do not think Nitishji should do all of this,” he said. He has also sought a meeting with BJP President Amit Shah to raise the issue of his “humiliations”. He has alleged that Mr Kumar referred to him as neech (low born) in one of his interactions with reporters.The BJP however, is in no mood to back him against the JD(U). In a direct snub, Bihar’s Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Modi tweeted, “Nitish Kumar never used the word NEECH in his interaction with media .I was present in the programme . Still some leaders trying to become martyr but will not succeed.”
Celebrity chef Alex Guarnaschelli — joined by Mario Batali, Rocco DiSpirito, Tony Fortuna, Chris Santos, and Geoffrey Zakarian — is calling upon New York City’s restaurants and diners to honor our nation’s heroes this Veterans Day through the 4th Annual Dine Out for Heroes, a benefit for the Bob Woodruff Foundation.The Food Network personality and executive chef of Butter Restaurant was drawn to the fundraiser for wounded veterans because of its simplicity.“Dine Out for Heroes is a great way for restaurants to honor those who’ve served while offering diners the opportunity to enjoy a great meal. I am thrilled to lead a culinary council whose goal is to raise awareness for this important initiative,” said Guarnaschelli. “November 11th is Veterans Day and if you are planning on going out to dinner choose a restaurant that is participating in Dine Out For Heroes.”Restaurants wishing to take part simply pledge to donate $1 per customer served on Veterans Day. In addition to Butter, some of this year’s participating restaurants include Michael Jordan’s The Steak House N.Y.C., Beauty & Essex, Del Posto, Esca, The Lambs Club, The National Bar & Dining Rooms, Otto, The Stanton Social, T-Bar Restaurant and Lounge, and Vandal.Participating restaurants will be highlighted on the Bob Woodruff Foundation’s website, as well as by sponsor OpenTable, making it simple for diners to make reservations. Collateral materials like window clings will be provided to restaurants, a great way to entice customers — including the estimated half-million people who will visit Manhattan to watch the city’s annual Veterans Day Parade.‘Dine Out for Heroes’ is spearheaded by restaurateurs Peter and Penny Glazier, founders of Glazier Works, with Caroline Hirsch and Andrew Fox, founders of the New York Comedy Festival, and Bob and Lee Woodruff, co-founders of the Bob Woodruff Foundation.“I wanted to create an opportunity that would allow the restaurant industry and the community to offer support to veterans,” Penny Glazier explained.‘Dine Out for Heroes’ (#Dine4Heroes) will follow on the heels of the 11th annual Stand Up for Heroes, a collaboration between the Bob Woodruff Foundation and the New York Comedy Festival that has raised more than $40 million to date to support injured service members and their families.Together, these efforts will continue to honor the sacrifice of returning veterans—especially those who have been wounded. To date, the Bob Woodruff Foundation has invested more than $45 million in programs supporting impacted veterans, service members and their families.Dine Out for Heroes is made possible by sponsors OpenTable, Jack Daniel’s, and Performance Food Service Metro NY.Restaurants and diners can learn more about this year’s Dine Out for Heroes by visiting BobWoodruffFoundation.org/Dine4Heroes.