Incessant rains due and the subsequent deluge claimed five lives in Kolkata and adjoining districts on Tuesday. While two persons died when parts of an old dilapidated two storied building collapsed in the Taltala area in central Kolkata three others died in the districts of south Bengal.According to Kolkata Police at around 12.25 pm the old building collapsed. Three fire engines along with personnel of disaster management group were pressed into rescue operation, which went for several hours.“At around 4.25 pm the bodies of two persons-Himadri Pahar (38) and Hansa Shaw (20) were extricated from the debris and sent to Calcutta Medical College and Hospital for legal procedure,” a statement by Kolkata police said.Meanwhile, the situation remained grim in Birbhum, Purulia, Bankura, and Hooghly district of south Bengal. While two persons died in Purulia when a wall collapsed on them, one person died in Birbhum when he was washed away during the day.In Purulia two persons-Sikandar Mirza (30) and Siaz Khan (12)- died and five got injured in the Nanduara village in the district’s Raghunathpur sub-division when an earthen boundary wall of a house collapsed on them, District Magistrate of Purulia Alokesh Prasad Roy told The Hindu.He also said that so far waterlogging has not turned out to be severe in the district with only some areas of Jhalda I and Barabazr block witnessing some waterlogging.In Birbhum one person has died due to drowning in the afternoon in the Hatiea village of Labhpur block. While locals said that the situation in Labhpur has become “grim” with about 17 villages facing heavy waterlogging, the District Magistrate P.Mohangandhi claimed otherwise. “Labhpur being a low lying area, there is waterlogging in some areas. But so far it is not a cause of concern,” said Mr.Gandhi.As for Hooghly a senior district police official said that was a breach in an embankment on the Rupnarayan river at the Dhannobadi village under the Khanakul Assembly seat. “As a result nearly 16 villages in the area are facing severe waterlogging. The district administration is keeping an eye on the situation,” he said. One person Shyamal Sengupta (38) got washed away on Monday. However, Superintendent of Police Sukesh Jain said that “Mr.Sengupta’s body has not been found yet.” Areas such as Khanakul, Goghal, Arambagh in the district are facing severe waterlogging.In Bankura 1,000 people had to be to be shifted to relief camps due to severe waterlogging. “ There is severe waterlogging in Bankura II, Joypur, Kotalpur, Patrasayer, Mejhia and Onda blocks. We have set up six relief camps,” District Magistrate of Bankura Moumita Godara said.Meanwhile State’s Irrigation Minister Rajib Banerjee accused the Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) for releasing waters from dams “without consulting” the State government. “The situation has become a cause of concern for us. Despite our repeated letters the DV is releasing water without consulting us,” he said. According to the Indian Meteorological Department, Bengal is likely to receive heavy rain at isolated places on Wednesday.
View comments John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Reyes, although appreciative of Abueva’s effort, said the he was there as “part of the pool.” But Abueva is not counting on it.“I’m here to give everything that I have [in practice],” Abueva said. “We all don’t know what can happen.”Gilas won its first two matches in this grueling qualifying home-and-away series being used by the Fiba for the first time, routing the Japanese in Tokyo and then carving out a tight win over Chinese Taipei at Smart Araneta Coliseum last November.Naturalized center Andray Blatche planed in on Friday and was glad to rejoin practice, appearing to be in far better shape compared to the previous times when he came over after long vacations.June Mar Fajardo, Japeth Aguilar, Jayson Castro, Gabe Norwood, RR Pogoy, Jio Jalalon, Carl Bryan Cruz, Matthew Wright, Kevin Alas and Kiefer Ravena are the other members of the Gilas team bracketed in Group B with Australia, Japan and Taiwan. They will be fighting for one of seven available slots for Asia.ADVERTISEMENT AFP official booed out of forum LATEST STORIES MOST READ The injured Troy Rosario was the only one missing in practice at West Greenhills g.ym and would likely be out for the duel with the Aussies at Margaret Court Arena in Melbourne and against Japan at Mall of Asia Arena three days later.Rosario took a horrific fall in TNT KaTropa’s game against Phoenix Petroleum last week and sat out the Texters’ next game against Barangay Ginebra on Sunday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutHe hit the floor face first and had to be wheeled out of the game strapped in a gurney.Calvin Abueva, who along with Raymond Almazan were dropped for the coming matches by Reyes after failing to attend several practice sessions, was at the workout on Monday which fueled speculations that he could be recalled with Rosario likely to be out. Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Gilas Pilipinas has started practicing full time and in full force, but coach Chot Reyes is seeking understanding from everyone as he again made it a closed-door session as the Filipinos gear up for a tough battle with Australia on Feb. 22 in the Fiba World Cup 2019 Asian Qualifiers.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Has the POC president gone deaf and blind? Read Next 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan, who is gearing up for the launch of his debut fiction TV show Yudh, has thanked superstar Shah Rukh Khan for his wishes for the series.Shah Rukh, 48, had previously taken to Twitter to express his excitement for Yudh and said the show will be ‘path breaking’.He tweeted: “@SrBachchan waiting for Yudh. Am sure it will be path breaking as all your other endeavours have been.” The two actors, who have worked together in films like Mohabbatein, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, Bhoothnath and Bhootnath Returns.In return, the 71-year-old actor, said, “Thank you SRK for your wishes for Yudh. Whether it will be path breaking or not is not known (sic).”The two stars also made plans of a football game as both are big fans of the sport.”Let’s do football one night sir,” Shah Rukh said, to which Bachchan replied, “What will be path breaking will be if I can beat you at the PS4 football game that you invite me for!”The two actors, who have worked together in films like Mohabbatein, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, Bhoothnath and Bhootnath Returns.