Lady Raiders Winning Against Lady Cougars

first_imgThe South Ripley Lady Raiders Varsity won over The South Decatur Lady Cougars 25-21, 25-19, 25-22.For SR, Elexah Roepke 12/15 2 aces, 37/43 11 kills, 11 digs; Kiley Sparks 18/19 2 aces, 38/45 14 kills, 11 digs; Lillie Hilton 19/20 1 ace, 14/15 5 kills, 1 dig; Tori’s Tucker 8/10 1 ace, 12/12 2 kills, 26 assists, 6 digs; Haley Gorrell 19/20 1 ace, 5/5 attacks, 10 digs; Mariah Gentile 6/6 serving, 12 digs, 23/25 serve receptions; Halee Smith 7/9 attacks, 5 digs.Courtesy of Raiders Coach Lisa Gilpin.last_img

The Latest: Nationals GM expects baseball season in 2020

first_imgFIFA previously said it will make substantial sums from its $2.7 billion reserves available in an emergency fund.___The German Cup soccer final has been postponed indefinitely and will likely take place without fans.The German soccer federation says the final will no longer be played on May 23 in Berlin as planned but it’s still sticking to a June 30 deadline to finish the season.Federation president Fritz Keller says “it is extremely unfortunate that in all likelihood this special game will have to take place in a stadium without spectators.” Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo expects there to be a 2020 major league season. Associated Press The International Olympic Committee is allocating more than $25 million to cover extra athlete and team costs related to the one-year postponement of the Tokyo Games.The IOC says an extra $15 million will go to a program helping 1,600 athletes from 185 less well-funded countries prepare for the games in 2021.More than $10 million is available for national Olympic bodies to cover additional operational costs such as travel and accommodation for officials.The money is being awarded through the Olympic Solidarity program. The program aims to help all 206 national Olympic teams and the refugee team send athletes to the games.___ The Latest: Nationals GM expects baseball season in 2020 Baseball has been on hold since last month because of the coronavirus pandemic, right along with most sports and other aspects of everyday life.Rizzo said on a conference call with reporters Friday: “I’m optimistic, as is the commissioner, that we’ll have baseball in 2020. I’m upbeat about that. The most important thing is to do it in the right way and the safest manner we can. But I believe that we will have baseball.”The GM said the owners of the World Series champions have committed to giving Nationals employees full salary and benefits through the end of May.___The president of the French soccer federation wants the season to restart with the two domestic cup finals followed by remaining league games. France is on lockdown until May 11 because of the coronavirus outbreak. The league is scheduled to restart on June 17 if the government allows it.French soccer federation president Noël Le Graët says he hopes “to resume the season and try to go to the end.”His new proposal is that the French Cup final be played either on June 13 or 20 with the League Cup final three days later and then the 10 league games.Le Graët says “this proposal wasn’t challenged.”___ There are also no dates for the postponed semifinals. They were originally scheduled to be played earlier this week with champion Bayern Munich hosting Eintracht Frankfurt and fourth-division club Saarbrücken welcoming Bayer Leverkusen.___France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris says resuming soccer leagues should not come at the expense of people’s health amid the coronavirus pandemic.Talks are ongoing in leagues around the world as to when the season can restart. South Korea’s K-League will kick off on May 8 in empty stadiums. The Bundesliga in Germany is discussing playing again on May 9.Lloris says “there’s so much at stake financially for clubs … But above all of that there is health.”center_img The nine men’s and nine women’s national teams were scheduled to play January-to-June annually.Games in the 2020 season were stopped because of the coronavirus pandemic. Germany has yet to play in the women’s competition while leader Argentina has played eight of its 16 games.The International Hockey Federation says the new time frame gives it the best chance “to deliver on broadcast and commercial partner agreements.”The subsequent season will run from September 2021 to the following June.___ England will try to reschedule its test series with the West Indies after announcing there will be no professional cricket played in the country until July 1 at the earliest because of the coronavirus pandemic.The inaugural season of The Hundred is due to start on July 17 and has not yet been canceled. The England and Wales Cricket Board has arranged a meeting for next week to discuss whether it can go ahead.No domestic competitions have been scrapped for this year.The ECB says the international season in England will now be played from July to the end of September. The three-test series against the West Indies that was due to start on June 4 has been postponed.ECB chief executive Tom Harrison says his organization is following advice from the government and health experts and that “our plan is to reschedule international matches as late as possible in the season to give the best chance of play.” FIFA says advance payments of $500,000 are being sent to member associations to cover running costs during the coronavirus pandemic.Each of the 211 member associations is entitled to $6 million from FIFA spread over the four-year World Cup cycle.FIFA says the next instalment due in July will now be paid in the coming days along with other payments due from last year.FIFA is easing some criteria required before being paid but the money is still subject to audit checks.FIFA president Gianni Infantino says the soccer body has a duty “to be there and support the ones that are facing acute needs.” April 24, 2020 Lloris plays for Tottenham in the Premier League. The team has nine matches remaining this season.Lloris says in an interview with Le Parisien newspaper that “if we have to finish the league without fans then we will.”But the World Cup champion adds that “soccer remains totally secondary given the current situation.”___The governing body of field hockey says it has extended the international Pro League seasons by one year to run through June 2021. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more

Bolles has a new perspective in pivotal season with Broncos

first_imgBolles has a new perspective in pivotal season with Broncos Bolles said he knows this is a pivotal year, not only for his career but for the Broncos, who are out to avoid becoming the first team to miss the playoffs five straight seasons following a Super Bowl parade.“I knew coming into here I had to do whatever I can to be the man so this organization can trust me, the fans can trust me and we can get back to where we belong and that’s in the AFC championship, to the Super Bowl,” Bolles said. “And that’s our plan ever year. I know we have the quarterback and the receivers to do that, the defense to do that. And now it’s just up to me to protect Drew all that I can.”Bolles has big plans in Denver beyond 2020, too. He’s hoping to play well enough this year that the Broncos give him an extension even though they declined his fifth-year option this spring that would have been worth $11 million in 2021.“That was out of my control. I can’t dictate what Mr. Elway or those guys do, but what I can dictate is how I play on the football field,” Bolles said. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Garett Bolles insists he never worried about the training camp battle he was slated to have with Elijah Wilkinson before Ja’Wuan James opted out of the 2020 season. Nor did he fret over the Broncos declining his fifth-year option.“I was just worrying about getting myself better,” Denver’s long embattled left tackle said Thursday. They were his first public comments since late last season, when his holding habit drew the ire of fans and caused GM John Elway to question whether he even understood what constituted a penalty in the NFL. Bolles said he spent his offseason reflecting. “It’s all about me. That’s how I am this year. My zone is G.B. zone. I just want to focus on me, how I can get better,” Bolles said. “You can bring in Hall of Famer Joe Staley, Joe Thomas, it really doesn’t matter who I was competing against, I just have to get better with myself, I have to be the best version of me. And as long as I do that, I know where I can go and what I can do and what I’m capable of.”The Broncos have been waiting a long time for Bolles to reach his potential. They drafted him in the first round in 2017 knowing he was raw and penalty prone, and although he’s been dependable — starting all 48 games of his career — he’s also been flagged a whopping 46 times.This, however, marks the first time he’s had his same offensive line coach two years in a row in Mike Munchak, who says the continuity should be fruitful for Bolles in 2020.“That’s huge for me. Me and Coach Munchak have a really great relationship. We talk regularly during practice, before the game, after the game, just trying to get me better,” Bolles said. ”… I’m just looking forward to our relationship continuing to get better. I trust him, I believe in him, I know he believes in me and I’ve just got to do everything that I can to make him know that he can trust me.”Before settling down in December once the mobile Drew Lock took over at quarterback, Bolles’ propensity for penalties brought out the boo birds at home games. “Listen, our fans are some of the best fans in the country; they deserve some of the best football here in Denver,” Bolles said. “We have a tradition of winning and it’s unacceptable the way that I played and I take full responsibility for it.”He also used the catcalls to motivate him this offseason. “Nobody likes to get booed, and so I took that upon myself to get better,” Bolles said. “I do whatever I can, you know, I worked hard, I put on 20 extra pounds, I did whatever I could to make myself better, the best version of me, moving forward because I know this is a very important season not just for me but for my family. This organization is counting on me to be the best version of myself and I knew whatever I had to do this offseason to get myself ready I did.”Bolles said he’s now between 305 and 310 pounds.“I’m the strongest, the fastest I’ve ever been,” he said. “I think I’m physically stronger and mentally stronger as well.”center_img Associated Press August 20, 2020 ___Follow Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapleton___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFLlast_img read more

Opponent preview: What to know about the Pittsburgh Panthers

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse snapped its losing streak with a 79-72 win over Georgia Tech last Saturday, the first win in four games for the Orange. On Wednesday, Syracuse (15-12, 8-8 Atlantic Coast) will look for a second-straight victory when it travels to Pittsburgh for a 7 p.m. tip-off. The Panthers (15-13, 6-11) enter Wednesday following a three-point home loss to Virginia last Saturday and have lost their last four in a row. Below is the Pittsburgh scouting report before Wednesday night’s tipoff.All-time series: Syracuse leads, 72-45Last time they played: The Orange jetted out to a 20-point lead over the Panthers in the first half before hanging on for a 69-61 win. The Pittsburgh offense appeared puzzled early in the game and failed to break through Syracuse’s 2-3 zone defense. As the game carried on, Syracuse’s offense struggled too. Joe Girard III finished the game having shot 25% from the field while the ACC’s leading-scorer Elijah Hughes had just 10 points. Leading the Orange’s forward group was Marek Dolezaj with 17 points and seven rebounds, while Quincy Guerrier added 10 points and eight rebounds. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Pitt report: Pittsburgh has lost its last four games and has scored more than 60 points in just one of those matchups. Its field goal percentages both inside and beyond the arc rank in the bottom 300s nationally, including a 29.2% 3-point field goal percentage.  Outside of a high forced turnover rate, not much on the Panthers stat sheet jumps off the page. No player averages more than 12.3 points per game and Pitt lacks a dominant down-low presence. It’s the exact opposite of the formula that’s beaten down on Syracuse this year.How Syracuse beats Pitt: Syracuse beats Pittsburgh by playing the first half it did a few weeks ago. The Orange forced the Panthers to shoot outside jumpers and scored from all over the floor through the first 20 minutes. If Buddy Boeheim didn’t cool off after an 18-point first half Syracuse may have ran away with that game. Syracuse’s offense hasn’t been a major issue over the last few games and shouldn’t be on Wednesday night either. The Orange needs their usual contributors to play well and they can waltz away from Pittsburgh with an easy win.Stat to know: 34 — With a 34% offensive rebounding percentage, Pittsburgh ranks 342nd worst in the country. KenPom odds: Syracuse has a 49% chance to win the game, with a projected final score of 70-69 in favor of Pittsburgh.Player to watch: Justin Champagnie, guard No. 11The freshman from Brooklyn leads Pittsburgh in points (12.3) and rebounds (7.1) per game. At 6-foot-6, Champagnie plays a guard-forward hybrid and could end up across Hughes for parts of the game. If Pitt wins on Wednesday, watch for a dominant double-double from Champagnie.  Comments Published on February 26, 2020 at 12:37 am Contact Josh: jlschafe@syr.edu | @Schafer_44last_img read more

Šetkić in the second round of ATP Challenger in Canada

first_imgBIH tennis player Aldin Šetić has qualified to the second round of ATP Challanger Tournament which is being held in Rimouski in Canada worth 35 000 USD.In the first round, Šetkić defeated Hugo di Feo with 6:3 and 6:2.In the second round 25 five year old player from Sarajevo will play against Polish player Michal Przysiezny.last_img

LALIGA COMES TO INDIA’S FOOTBALL HEARTLAND, KOLKATA

first_imgAdvertisementLaLiga Ambassador and former Real Madrid midfielder Steve McManaman to join 25,000 fans to watch the special live in Kolkata at East Bengal Ground on 28th October 2018KOLKATA, Oct. 3rd 2018 – The highly anticipated clash, between rivals FC Barcelona and Real Madrid CF, the El Clasico, has been scheduled for a 8:45PM IST kick-off on October 28, 2018 for Indian audiences again.To celebrate the biggest club rivalry in the world LaLiga will be organising a special live screening for 25,000 fans in Kolkata at East Bengal Ground to bring the crunch clash closer to them. LaLiga Ambassador, Steve McManaman will join the celebrations in Kolkata to watch the match with the die-hard fans.Football lovers can register to attend the special live screening of FC Barcelona v Real Madrid CF for free at link.The entry gates will open at 5:45PM IST with plenty of pre-match entertainment ahead of kick-off.LaLiga has previously organised big El Clasico screenings in Mumbai and New Delhi, with legends such as Luis Garcia, Frederic Kanoute and Gianluca Zambrotta. Last year’s El Clasico screening in India’s capital city was an overwhelming success with over 20,000 fans enjoying the world’s biggest football rivalry.Indian fans can watch all LaLiga matches, including the El Clasico, live and free on Facebook. Select matches are also telecast on India’s leading sports broadcaster, Sony Pictures Networks India.Jose Cachaza, Head of LaLiga India said, “Our commitment to India and our fans over here is unwavering. We continue to undertake initiatives over here as the Indian audiences continue to show a huge appetite for the beautiful game.Last year, when we scheduled the El Clasico for our Indian audiences, we received an overwhelming response and we hope it will be even better this year. All our passionate fans in Kolkata can also attend the live screening with us and support their favourite team – Barcelona or Real Madrid.”Football has been rapidly growing in the country, especially in the last few years. LaLiga has undertaken several initiatives to contribute towards the development like launching LaLiga Football Schools, bringing Girona FC to India, scheduling of El Clasico for fans in India and more. As more Indians start consuming football, bringing LaLiga closer to its fans in India has been a key driver for LaLiga.Advertisementlast_img read more