Bowing to pressure from City Council members, a developer agreed to pay an additional $20,000 in relocation costs for tenants evicted from a Valley Village apartment building to clear the way for approval of a condominium project. Developer Gary Schaffel, under terse questioning from Councilman Bill Rosendahl, agreed to make the additional payment to end the controversy that had surrounded his project after a city planner mistakenly left a telephone message with a tenant promising the developer would win approval “no matter what.” Former tenants in the building played the taped message at hearings, and raised concern that the project approval process had been tainted. They also appealed the project, saying the developer should have paid higher relocation fees recently enacted by the city. But they defended the decision Chiang had reached in approving the tract map for the development. Schaffel said he felt sorry for Chiang. “Had I gotten that message on my phone, I wouldn’t have taken it as anything more than the conditions of the appeal had no merit and would be rejected,” he said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThe agreement by Schaffel won him approval, on a 11-0 vote, for the project to build 78 units at 11933 Magnolia Boulevard. Schaffel said he had already given $20,000 for tenant relocation money above what was legally required. But he said he was willing to pay tenants an additional $20,000 for “peace of mind” and to get his project moving. Councilwoman Wendy Greuel, in whose district the project is located, said she was upset by the telephone call made by planner Jack Chiang, but that it did not change the reasoning for approval of the project. “I’m pleased that we were able to get the additional money for tenants,” Greuel said, but added: “The process was a messy process that didn’t necessarily make the city look good, but the desired outcome was achieved.” Officials in the Planning Department roundly criticized Chiang for his telephone call and said he is being disciplined.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The 77th Ohio Ag Net podcast brings Ty Higgins, Matt Reese, and Joel Penhorwood together on a rainy day during harvest season.Joel talks with Monte Anderson and several Wilmington College students after the recent fall agriculture and equine business management visit day.Matt hears from Grant and Grace Lach — both state FFA officers, and get this, twins!The full interviews and more on the Ohio Ag Net Podcast, sponsored by AgriGold.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday seemed to agree with the Centre’s proposal to let 40 lakh people, excluded from the final draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam, to produce additional documents to prove their legacy.Justice Ranjan Gogoi orally observed that the court agreed with the suggestion made by Assam NRC Co-ordinator Prateek Hajela in his report that those left out of the draft NRC could submit any one of the 10, of a total 15 documents in List-A of the Centre’s draft Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for claims and objections.He said claimants could submit any of the 10 documents, provided they were authenticated by the relevant authority which issued them. “We are allowing only 10 because the other five can be cooked up,” Justice Gogoi told Attorney-General K.K. Venugopal. The Bench gave the government two weeks to respond to Mr. Hajela’s suggestion. The court deferred the process of receipt of claims and objections, and posted the next hearing for September 19.The court further refused to provide a copy of the full report of Mr. Hajela to the Centre.“We are extremely interested in having a copy,” Mr. Venugopal submitted.To this, Justice Gogoi replied that “you may be interested, but we have to balance it. The court has called for the report, now it is the discretion of the court to give it to you or not. First you respond to this suggestion (of Mr. Hajela), then we will see about it”.Later, in the court’s order, Justice Gogoi recorded that “the Attorney General has sought a copy of the co-ordinator’s report. We are of the view that what has been set out in the order (of the court) would be sufficient for the Union of India, stakeholders to indicate their views on it”.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd to try again for Benfica defender Ruben Diasby Paul Vegas15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United are ready to try again for Benfica defender Ruben Dias.United may have to splurge up to £80million to prise the 22-year-old away from the Portuguese capital, says The Sun.They made moves for the Portugal international in the summer but missed out.Now with Benfica set to offer the centre-back improved terms, his release clause will rise dramatically from £60m.Benfica are desperate to keep hold of their star man and are believed to be willing to pay him big money in a new deal.But the lure of Manchester United could prove tough to resist for the player.
China’s shipbuilder AVIC Weihai Shipyard has held a keel-laying ceremony for a new RoPax vessel being built for Swedish ferry company Stena Line.The traditional maritime event, which took place on February 2, 2018, marks the start of the construction phase of the hull and the exterior parts of the vessel.“This is an important milestone in our exciting new ship building project,” Niclas Mårtensson, CEO Stena Line, said.Stena Line’s new RoPax vessels will be deployed on the Irish Sea. The new vessels, which will be 50% bigger than today’s standard RoPax units, have a planned delivery timetable during 2019 and 2020.“Our overall target is that these vessels will be the absolute state-of-the-art when it comes to energy efficiency, flexibility and customer service. In particular, we are placing heavy emphasis on developing a range of exciting new digital features which will provide our customers with unique additional services connected with their journey as well as developing a new, integrated digital onboard experience,” Mårtensson added.Featuring a length of 214.5 meters and a breadth of 27.8 meters, the new ships are capable of carrying 1,000 passengers.Image Courtesy: Stena Line
BISMARCK, N.D. — North Dakota officials have asked a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed over the five-month closure of a section of highway during the large protests against the Dakota Access oil pipeline, saying they had both the authority and an obligation to do it.The federal lawsuit brought by two members of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and a reservation priest alleges that the closure of state Highway 1806 near the pipeline route north of the reservation unduly restricted travel and commerce and violated the free speech and religious rights of them and others. It seeks unspecified monetary damages from state officials, Morton County and TigerSwan, a North Carolina-based company that oversaw private security for the Texas-based pipeline developer, Energy Transfer Partners.Attorneys for the county and the state officials, including Republican Gov. Doug Burgum, contend in a court filing dated Friday that the highway shutdown was warranted because of “mayhem” caused by some of the thousands of demonstrators who gathered in the area in 2016 and early 2017 to protest the $3.8 billion pipeline, which now moves North Dakota oil to Illinois.“The criminal behaviour included trespassing, destruction of private property, vandalism, setting fire to multiple vehicles on the bridge, stampeding bison and shooting at law enforcement personnel in attempts to kill them, unlawfully blocking the highway, throwing Molotov cocktails and other projectiles at law enforcement, and evading and resisting arrest,” state Deputy Solicitor General James Nicolai wrote.State officials closed a stretch of the highway just north of protest camps in October 2016 and didn’t reopen it until March 2017, after initial repairs to a bridge were completed and the protest camps were cleared out.The highway is the main route between the reservation and Bismarck, the nearest large city. Plaintiffs allege that the closure was targeted at them and didn’t apply to pipeline workers, who were allowed to continue using that stretch of highway.Nicolai and Shawn Grinolds, an attorney for Morton County, argue that at one point, the protesters, themselves, blocked the highway with hay bales and other objects and that for months, they ignored an evacuation notice issued by then-Gov. Jack Dalrymple. They argue that pipeline workers had a legitimate reason to use the highway and that blocking others from using it was not retaliatory.“The plaintiffs’ peaceful protests were disrupted by a violent criminal faction that required responsible public officials to take necessary and appropriate steps to quell a criminal riot, protect private property from criminal activity and to ensure public safety,” Nicolai said.TigerSwan asked to be dismissed as a defendant, arguing that it had nothing to do with the decision to close the road. Attorney Lynn Boughey also asked U.S. District Judge Dan Hovland to force the plaintiffs to pay the company’s attorney fees.The three plaintiffs are reservation businesswoman Cissy Thunderhawk, pipeline opponent Waste’Win Young and the Rev. John Floberg of St. James’ Episcopal Church in Cannon Ball. They’re suing the county, its sheriff, Burgum and Dalrymple, and the heads of the state Transportation Department and Highway Patrol.In addition to the monetary damages, the lawsuit seeks stricter rules for road closures in such instances and class-action status, meaning it would apply to all affected people, if granted.___Follow Blake Nicholson on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NicholsonBlakeBlake Nicholson, The Associated Press
Shortly thereafter, at 7:20 am, the Fort St John RCMP received a report of a stolen backhoe. The backhoe was located just over an hour later at the corner of 87th Ave and 74th St.Fort St John RCMP obtained surveillance video which provided the following photo of the suspect pickup truck. All three thefts are believed to be related.The vehicle is described as:early 2000’s white Ford F-150single cab long boxblack front bumper and grillorange sticker of a skull wearing a helmet on the back window on the right sideThe male driver is described as:approximately 45 years oldmedium to light brown hairbeardwearing a t-shirt and blue jeans with a hi-vis vest.“The description and photo of this truck show it has some unique features”, said Cst Chad Neustaeter. “The RCMP hope the public will recognize the truck and assist with locating the truck and driver.”The Fort St John RCMP continue to investigate and are asking anyone who has information about this incident or can assist in locating this vehicle, please contact the Fort St John RCMP at 250-787-8100. Should you wish to remain anonymous, please call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or submit a tip online at www.crimestoppersnebc.ca. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The RCMP suspect three thefts are related to a white Ford pickup.The RCMP received a report of a stolen flat deck trailer that had been found abandoned near 87th Ave and 72nd Street on June 11, 2019, at approximately 5:30 am.That same morning, at just after 6 am, the Fort St John RCMP received a report of a man attempting to steal a flat deck utility trailer from a parking lot in the area of 92nd Ave and 100th St. The man was approached but then ran to his vehicle and drove away at a high rate of speed.
Jaipur: Australian batsman Steve Smith will embark on a redemption journey when Rajasthan Royals open their campaign against Kings XI Punjab in the 12th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), here on Monday. Smith was handed a one-year ban along with his then deputy David Warner exactly a year ago for their roles in the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa. Smith was last seen in action in a couple of Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) matches late last year before an elbow injury ruled him out of the tournament. The ban was limited to state and international fixtures only and not domestic or club cricket. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhThe IPL will be the actual start of his long road to redemption and Smith would be looking to make the most of it ahead of the World Cup, starting May 30 in England. Smith, though, is yet to recover fully from his elbow injury and may take a little time to get into the groove. With Smith in their ranks, the Royals have one of the best teams this season led by Ajinkya Rahane and they would be eager to capitalise on the home advantage tomorrow. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterBritish all-rounder Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler are assets to the team but they will not be available after April 25 as per England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) diktat because of the World Cup, and Rajasthan would be keen to win enough matches by then. Stokes will once again be the key in both batting and bowling departments, while the Kings would be expecting their all-rounder Sam Curran to be on the top of his game tomorrow. Their bowling too have reasonable depth with speedster Jaidev Unadkat eying a slot in Indian team for the World Cup. Varun Aaron, Dhawal Kulkarni, Jofra Archer, Ish Sodhi and few others give variety and options to Royals for different conditions Ravichandran Ashwin-led Punjab side would rely heavily on their openers Chris Gayle and KL Rahul to provide them a fiery start and if swashbuckling West Indian opener happens to be in his elements, the Kings XI may be able to draw the first blood. Skipper Ashwin would be desperate to prove that he can still make a difference in this format. With Mohammed Shami, Andrew Tye and Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Punjab’s bowling looks pretty strong.
If the tenor set by Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer on the first day of preseason practice is any indication about what the coming season holds, the 2012 campaign will be an intense one. Meyer led veteran OSU players in an early-morning workout at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center that included stretching, running and drill work, according to an OSU release. Freshmen and upperclassmen walk-on players took part in their first fall practice under Meyer at 5:30 p.m. Friday. Meyer, who was hired Nov. 29, begins preparations for his first season with OSU after stints at Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. Meyer was not made available following his first-ever preseason practice at OSU, but sophomore cornerback Bradley Roby confirmed the arrival of a new era in OSU football from players’ perspectives when he said the morning session was more intense than what the team had experienced under former head coaches Jim Tressel and current OSU defensive coordinator Luke Fickell. “You can tell just by practice. It was totally different than coach Tressel,” Roby said. “Just the whole intensity of practice – It’s more urgent, more intensity. Not more competitive, but (coaches) stress the competitiveness so that brings out more.” Roby, who also called the Friday practice high-paced and crisp, said it was Meyer’s newly assembled coaching staff “being on you more” that brought the intense showing from players. Sophomore quarterback Braxton Miller, appearing less camera-shy and open to discussion with the media, said that his teammates came together during the summer. Miller, who rushed for 715 yard and seven touchdown while passing for 1,159 yards and 13 touchdowns during his freshman campaign, also credited the coaching staff for changes in his physique. “I feel a lot (different). My body’s changing, my attitude,” he said. “I had a talk with the coaches about, like, ‘how can I be a better leader?” In keeping with the theme of intensity, Miller also said he had some words of encouragement for his teammates before the early-morning practice. “Let’s go man,” Miller said. “We’re not here to lounge around.” New Season, New Numbers Three players, including Roby, are wearing new numbers this fall. Roby, who sported the No. 25 jersey last year, is wearing No. 1 for the 2012 season. Additionally, senior linebacker Ross Oltorik is wearing the No. 20 jersey and freshman defensive lineman Se’von Pittman will sport the No. 95 jersey. OSU begins its 2012 season Sept. 1 against Miami (Ohio) at Ohio Stadium. Kickoff, set for 29 days from Friday, is scheduled for noon. Patrick Maks contributed to this story.
Gareth Southgate decided to name Harry Kane the England national team captain over Jordan Henderson and Kieran Trippier insisted that it was a good choice by the manager because Kane is a great leader.Trippier is Kane’s teammate from Tottenham Hotspurs and they are about to play together in the national team as well – he insisted that the English star has helped the youngster a lot and he is a great role model.The full-back spoke about Kane’s leadership as he said, according to Football London🙂“I didn’t know anything about it. He is a top professional, on and off the field.”“He helps all the youngsters out at Tottenham, and us. He’s a real leader, all the boys know that and I couldn’t be happier for him.”Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“He’s got that fire inside him like everybody. He’s not the one to talk bad about people off the field.”“He’s just a top lad, top professional and I couldn’t be any happier and I think the lads are as well.”“We’ve got leaders all the way around the dressing room, everyone’s a leader.”“Everyone will help each other out – that’s the most important thing.”