Five dead in West Bengal as heavy rain lashes State

first_imgIncessant rains due and the subsequent deluge claimed five lives in Kolkata and adjoining districts on Tuesday. While two persons died when parts of an old dilapidated two storied building collapsed in the Taltala area in central Kolkata three others died in the districts of south Bengal.According to Kolkata Police at around 12.25 pm the old building collapsed. Three fire engines along with personnel of disaster management group were pressed into rescue operation, which went for several hours.“At around 4.25 pm the bodies of two persons-Himadri Pahar (38) and Hansa Shaw (20) were extricated from the debris and sent to Calcutta Medical College and Hospital for legal procedure,” a statement by Kolkata police said.Meanwhile, the situation remained grim in Birbhum, Purulia, Bankura, and Hooghly district of south Bengal. While two persons died in Purulia when a wall collapsed on them, one person died in Birbhum when he was washed away during the day.In Purulia two persons-Sikandar Mirza (30) and Siaz Khan (12)- died and five got injured in the Nanduara village in the district’s Raghunathpur sub-division when an earthen boundary wall of a house collapsed on them, District Magistrate of Purulia Alokesh Prasad Roy told The Hindu.He also said that so far waterlogging has not turned out to be severe in the district with only some areas of Jhalda I and Barabazr block witnessing some waterlogging.In Birbhum one person has died due to drowning in the afternoon in the Hatiea village of Labhpur block. While locals said that the situation in Labhpur has become “grim” with about 17 villages facing heavy waterlogging, the District Magistrate P.Mohangandhi claimed otherwise. “Labhpur being a low lying area, there is waterlogging in some areas. But so far it is not a cause of concern,” said Mr.Gandhi.As for Hooghly a senior district police official said that was a breach in an embankment on the Rupnarayan river at the Dhannobadi village under the Khanakul Assembly seat. “As a result nearly 16 villages in the area are facing severe waterlogging. The district administration is keeping an eye on the situation,” he said. One person Shyamal Sengupta (38) got washed away on Monday. However, Superintendent of Police Sukesh Jain said that “Mr.Sengupta’s body has not been found yet.” Areas such as Khanakul, Goghal, Arambagh in the district are facing severe waterlogging.In Bankura 1,000 people had to be to be shifted to relief camps due to severe waterlogging. “ There is severe waterlogging in Bankura II, Joypur, Kotalpur, Patrasayer, Mejhia and Onda blocks. We have set up six relief camps,” District Magistrate of Bankura Moumita Godara said.Meanwhile State’s Irrigation Minister Rajib Banerjee accused the Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) for releasing waters from dams “without consulting” the State government. “The situation has become a cause of concern for us. Despite our repeated letters the DV is releasing water without consulting us,” he said. According to the Indian Meteorological Department, Bengal is likely to receive heavy rain at isolated places on Wednesday.last_img read more

NRC: Assam citizens may get to offer new proof

first_imgThe Supreme Court on Wednesday seemed to agree with the Centre’s proposal to let 40 lakh people, excluded from the final draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam, to produce additional documents to prove their legacy.Justice Ranjan Gogoi orally observed that the court agreed with the suggestion made by Assam NRC Co-ordinator Prateek Hajela in his report that those left out of the draft NRC could submit any one of the 10, of a total 15 documents in List-A of the Centre’s draft Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for claims and objections.He said claimants could submit any of the 10 documents, provided they were authenticated by the relevant authority which issued them. “We are allowing only 10 because the other five can be cooked up,” Justice Gogoi told Attorney-General K.K. Venugopal. The Bench gave the government two weeks to respond to Mr. Hajela’s suggestion. The court deferred the process of receipt of claims and objections, and posted the next hearing for September 19.The court further refused to provide a copy of the full report of Mr. Hajela to the Centre.“We are extremely interested in having a copy,” Mr. Venugopal submitted.To this, Justice Gogoi replied that “you may be interested, but we have to balance it. The court has called for the report, now it is the discretion of the court to give it to you or not. First you respond to this suggestion (of Mr. Hajela), then we will see about it”.Later, in the court’s order, Justice Gogoi recorded that “the Attorney General has sought a copy of the co-ordinator’s report. We are of the view that what has been set out in the order (of the court) would be sufficient for the Union of India, stakeholders to indicate their views on it”.last_img read more

Ivana Agudo rises to the challenge for Lady Tamaraws

first_imgMagalong: Albayalde also got SUV out of ‘agaw bato’ operation in 2013 PLAY LIST 01:19Magalong: Albayalde also got SUV out of ‘agaw bato’ operation in 201300:50Trending Articles02:28Panelo on facing commute challenge: ‘It’s a silly acceptance’02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Despite uncertainty around her injury, Lycha Ebon confident she can return this season MOST READ Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. center_img MANILA, Philippines—Far Eastern University needed someone to fill in the void injured star Lycha Ebon left and fortunately for the Lady Tamaraws Ivana Agudo heeded the call.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Google Philippines names new country director Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess “I just told myself that even if I don’t produce points, I will help in other ways and I didn’t expect that I will be doing this so I’m really happy,” said Agudo who finished with 12 points to lead the Lady Tamaraws to a 6-3 record that tied them with University of Santo Tomas and De La Salle at the second seed.FEU captain Jerrili Malabanan would finish everything off scoring FEU’s final two points of the game.“Like Ivana said, her performance was unexpected, but we knew that she could help and provide for us when we’re one man down,” said Malabanan who had 11 points. “I’m really proud of the way she performed today.”ADVERTISEMENT Agudo showed true guts in leading the Lady Tamaraws in the deciding set against University of the East, helping them to salvage the 25-15, 16-25, 12-25, 25-22, 17-15 victory Saturday in the UAAP Season 81 women’s volleyball tournament.“This is a big thing for me because my Ates needed help, so for I told myself that I needed to step up,” said Agudo in Filipino Saturday at Mall of Asia Arena.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsIt was a virtual slugfest between FEU and UE with no team taking a three-point lead early in the fifth set.Agudo then took over for the Lady Tamaraws first giving them an 11-8 lead with a two-handed dump just before a crosscourt kill that nearly landed beyond the sideline for FEU’s 12-8 buffer. Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassleslast_img read more