NCW pulls up Tripura police

first_imgThe National Commission for Women (NCW) has sought a ‘progress report’ from the Tripura police on the investigation into rape, molestation and murder of women in the State. It expressed serious concern over the ‘spate of outrageous incidents against women’. “I have told the DGP to send a detailed report within a reasonable time, failing which we would summon them before the Commission,” NCW member Sushma Sahu told newsmen in Agartala on Tuesday.last_img

U.P. municipal elections conclude, EC downplays allegations of malfunctioning EVMs

first_imgVoting for the third and final phase of the 2017 civic polls in Uttar Pradesh concluded on Wednesday with yet another round of malfunctioning EVMs and discrepancies in voter lists, leading to angry protests in several districts.The third phase, which covered 233 local bodies across 26 districts, however, registered an increase of 1.5% voting and touched 53%. The overall voting over the three phases was 52.5%, around six per cent increase from 2012.Complaints over EVM malfunctions and discrepancies in voter lists were received from several districts, including Bareilly, Bulandshahr, Auraiya, Jaunpur and Barabanki.Vijay Mishra, a resident of Bareilly, was frustrated after he found the wrong name listed on his address in the booth. “The address was correct but they listed the wrong name, some Radhelal Maurya instead of me,” said Mr. Maurya, adding that due to missing names only three out of his 30-member family were able to vote.Voters lathichargedIn Barabanki, voters faced similar issues and in ward 26 in Peer Batawan, police lathicharged people allegedly without provocation, breaking chairs and tables of polling agents, to disperse the crowd which had assembled to inquire about the lists.State Election Commissioner S.K. Agarwal said polling was conducted peacefully, even as he downplayed the incidents of malfunctioning EVMs, 27 on Wednesday, as normal. A total of 503 EVMs had to be replaced over the three phases, out of which 250 were in Lucknow itself.Mr. Agarwal said the figure of 503 was negligible compared to the total number of EVMs deployed by the SEC, 32,374.Counting will be held on December 1.last_img read more

Modi’s remarks on Alwar rape aimed at polls: Gehlot

first_imgRefuting Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s remarks on the gangrape last month of a Dalit woman in Alwar, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Monday accused him of targeting the Congress on the issue for political mileage in the sixth and seventh phases of Lok Sabha election.Mr. Gehlot said Mr. Modi had twisted facts as a “ploy to get electoral benefit”.The Chief Minister told reporters here that contrary to Mr. Modi’s claims and despite his attempts to provoke Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati, there was no likelihood of the party withdrawing support to the Congress government in Rajasthan.“We will continue to get the BSP’s support. Ms. Mayawati’s concern is natural and justified, as she leads the Dalit community,” he said.Addressing the election rallies in eastern Uttar Pradesh, Mr. Modi had launched an attack on Mr. Gehlot and Ms. Mayawati and dared the latter to withdraw support to the Rajasthan government over the incident. Mr. Gehlot said the State government had already taken prompt action in the matter and the police had arrested all the accused. “The Thanagazi SHO was suspended and Alwar Superintendent of Police was removed. But Mr. Modi is using this incident in his election campaign to personally target me,” he said.The Chief Minister said the State government had decided to appoint Deputy Superintendents of Police (Women’s Security) in each district as nodal officers to supervise investigation into the crimes against women and children. If a police station refused to accept a complaint in such a case, the SP could directly register the FIR, he said.Mr. Gehlot said several cases of rape took place during the previous BJP regime in Rajasthan and a BJP MLA was involved in a rape case in Uttar Pradesh. “Mr. Modi never talked about them,” he said, adding that reports had emerged about BJP leader Hem Singh Bhadana going to the victim’s family with an offer to settle the matter.“Mr. Modi has been personally targeting me on various occasions. This is the latest instance. When I was in-charge [of Congress] during Assembly election in Gujarat, he misled and provoked farmers against me. He has no right to take a high moral ground and generate controversy in a rape case,” Mr. Gehlot said.Mr. Gehlot also accused the Prime Minister of bringing all democratic institutions under the control of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sevak (RSS) and threatening their very existence. “Democracy and the Constitution are under threat in the BJP’s rule. Mr. Modi wants to win the Lok Sabha election by hook or by crook… He can go to any extent. The Election Commission has become a silent spectator,” Mr. Gehlot said.After Mr. Modi accused Ms. Mayawati of shedding “crocodile tears” on the gangrape, the BSP chief rejected the charge as “dirty politics”. BSP State president Sitaram Meghwal told The Hindu that Ms. Mayawati was closely monitoring the progress of investigation in the case and his party would ensure that the criminals were brought to justice.last_img read more

2011 cricket WC to cost $40-50 mn

first_imgThe 2011 cricket World Cup, to be jointly hosted by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, is expected to cost $40-50 million.The figure was worked out at a preliminary meeting of the 2011 World Cup sub-committee looking into operations planning and event budgeting on Wednesday, said tournament director and Cricket Board’s Chief Administrative Officer, Prof Ratnakar Shetty.The preliminary meeting, in which two representatives of the International Cricket Council, including its general manager (commercial) Jamie Campbell, guided the member countries’ representatives on the intricacies in preparing the budget for the event, said Shetty.”The 2011 World Cup is an ICC event to be jointly organised by Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and India. All the expenses are to be borne by the ICC. The representatives of the member countries were told by the ICC representatives how to take care of the expenses”, Shetty told reporters after the meeting.Shetty said each of the organising country is different as far as expenses in hosting matches are concerned.last_img read more

Virat Kohli obliges fans with autographs and selfies at Adelaide. What about MS Dhoni?

first_imgIndia captain Virat Kohli and spinner Kuldeep Yadav were seen obliging fans with autographs and selfies outside the Adelaide Oval on Monday but all those waiting patiently for the cricketers couldn’t get a hold of MS Dhoni.Kohli and Kuldeep patiently gave autographs and clicked pictures with the fans on their way to the stadium just before the practice session. Dhoni however, didn’t stop by but he did promise to interact with them after the practice session.Meanwhile, Mohammad Shami, Kohli, Yuzvendra Chahal, Dinesh Karthik, Dhoni and Ravi Shastri were seen at the nets in the pictures posted by BCCI on their social media handle.Captain @imVkohli warming-up in the Adelaide nets ahead of the 2nd ODI against Australia#AUSvIND pic.twitter.com/JCIYxSdoIbBCCI (@BCCI) January 14, 2019While Shami was seen having a chat with Ambati Rayudu, Chahal rolled over his arms and captain Kohli, who got out for 3 in the first ODI, looked ahead with great concentration.In another picture, Dinesh Karthik was seen batting with MS Dhoni behind the stumps looking on. Dhoni was also seen standing with Shastri on a warm and sunny day in Adelaide.A very warm and sunny welcome here at Adelaide as #TeamIndia sweat it out in the nets ahead of the 2nd ODI.#AUSvIND pic.twitter.com/4OkUI3Nk8ABCCI (@BCCI) January 14, 2019Dhoni was criticised once again despite his half-century in the first match at Sydney which India lost by 34 runs to concede a 1-0 lead to Australia on Saturday.The former India captain was promoted up the batting order at No.5 and managed to score 51 runs off 96 balls with one six and a three boundaries. But his strike rate of just over 53 slowed down the pace of the innings as India failed to chase down 289 in 50 overs despite Rohit Sharma scoring 133.advertisementDhoni and Rohit steadied India’s innings after they were reduced to 4 for 3 by the fourth over and added 137 runs for the fifth wicket.But once Dhoni got out, Rohit kept losing partners at the other end as the India’s top-three and lower middle-order failed to get going and absorb the pressure.Rohit was eventually dismissed in the 46th over which brought an end to all hopes of an Indian victory at the Sydney Cricket Ground.In a World Cup year, there has been debate as to where Dhoni — whose strike rate has gone down in the recent past — should bat.”Personally, I always feel that Dhoni batting at number four will be ideal for the team but we have got Ambati Rayudu who has done really well now at number four. It totally depends on what the captain and coach think about it. Personally asking, I would be happy if Dhoni bats at four,” said Rohit.Rohit differed with his captain Kohli, who had previously said that Ambati Rayudu was his preferred No.4 batsman.India were reduced to 4/3 at one stage chasing 289 for victory before Rohit, who scored his 22nd ODI hundred, and Dhoni stitched together a 141-run stand for the fourth wicket.”If you look at his (Dhoni’s) overall batting, his strike rate is around 90. Today was a different scenario, when he came out to bat we had already lost three wickets and Australia were bowling pretty well. You just cannot go out and get 100-run partnership easily. So we took a little bit of time and even I did not score as quickly as I normally do,” Rohit said.Also Read | India treating next two matches vs Australia as knockouts, says Bhuvneshwar KumarAlso Read | How Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul got into trouble for Koffee with Karan: A timelineAlso Read | Shubman Gill ready for international cricket: Chief Selector MSK Prasadlast_img read more