Total of journalists abducted in Yemen in past five years reaches 20

first_img News Help by sharing this information “The only thing we know is that he is imprisoned and is being interrogated,” his brother Moaz said. During the call, Samadi asked them to hand over his laptop to the militiamen for the information it contains, or else “they will arrest you all.” An alarming total of at least 20 journalists have been the victims of enforced disappearance in Yemen since the start of the civil war in 2015, according to a tally by Reporters Without Borders (RSF). They include two journalists who were abducted by armed men in the past few weeks. Follow the news on Yemen YemenMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalists DisappearancesImprisonedHostages Fixer for foreign reporters held in Aden for past five months to go further Receive email alerts August 13, 2019 Total of journalists abducted in Yemen in past five years reaches 20 They also include former Akhbar Al-Yom journalist Abdul Hafiz Al-Samadi, who was kidnapped by a group of armed men as he was heading to a grocery store in the Al-Jarda district of the capital, Sanaa, on 27 July. The family heard nothing for three days, until he managed to call them briefly from a strange number on 30 July. January 6, 2021 Find out more Samadi had contributed to several articles critical of the Houthis. He had stopped working as a journalist since the start of the war in 2015. Many other journalists have done the same for fear of being persecuted because of their journalism, but this has not prevented militiamen from tracking them down subsequently because of what they wrote.  They include ten journalists who were taken hostage by the Houthis in Sanaa in 2015 and who are facing possible death sentences. News News News Organisation Most of these 20 journalists were kidnapped by either government forces or non-government forces and, in most cases, their families lack precise information about where they are being held or what has happened to them. A journalist films the site of a Saudi-led air strike in Sanaa in March 2016 (Reuters) Yemeni journalist killed, nine wounded in Aden airport explosions United Nations: press freedom situation “deeply worrying” in Yemen, according to RSF RSF_en YemenMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalists DisappearancesImprisonedHostages Yemen is ranked 168th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index. February 11, 2021 Find out more The latest victims include Mareb Today website editor Eyad Saleh, who was taken from his apartment in the southern city of Aden to an unknown location on 6 August by armed men, who also searched his apartment,  the Media Freedom Observatory said. “Yemeni journalists are almost systematically targeted by armed forces, regardless of where they are located, and must often defend what they have written,” RSF’s Middle East desk said. “By treating journalists in this way, both the Houthis and the Arab coalition’s allied forces violate journalists’ right to protection.” February 26, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

‘Am I ready for another challenge?’ – Wenger drops retirement hint

first_imgTransfers ‘Am I ready for another crazy challenge? I’m not sure’ – Wenger drops retirement hint Robin Bairner 21:24 6/3/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Arsene Wenger Arsenal Getty Images Transfers Arsène Wenger Arsenal The veteran coach has previously expressed his desire to feed his footballing addiction, but has now suggested that he will not necessarily go on Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has admitted that he does not know what the future holds for him.The Frenchman stepped down from his role as Gunners boss at the end of the previous season after nearly 22 years in charge. While he has previously said that he is interested in a return to management, he has suggested for the first time that he may be willing to quit the game if he does not feel that he can give any future job the commitment he feels is necessary.  Article continues below Editors’ Picks Goalkeeper crisis! Walker to the rescue but City sweating on Ederson injury ahead of Liverpool clash Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp Sorry, Cristiano! Pjanic is Juventus’ most important player right now “Do I still have the desire to be a coach? It’s the question I’m going to have to answer in the next two weeks,” he told TF1’s ‘Telefoot’ programme.“Do I still have the desire to be a coach? Yes. Do I have the desire to throw myself into another crazy challenge? I don’t know. It’s a job that requires total commitment. “I must give myself a little distance, which is something I’ve never done. I’ll have to see how much I miss it.”Wenger first moved into management in 1984 with Nancy, where he stayed three years before moving on to Monaco. A successful spell at Stade Louis II last seven seasons before he left the club. After a brief sojourn from the game, he made a surprise move to Japan with Nagoya Grampus Eight.He joined Arsenal in 1996 and would be at the club for over two decades. He led the Gunners to numerous trophies, including three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups. Moreover, he also guided them to the Champions League final of 2005-06.Since departing Arsenal, he has been associated with a potential switch to Real Madrid, where countryman Zinedine Zidane recently stepped down after winning three successive Champions League trophies, while he has also been touted as a potential replacement for Didier Deschamps at the head of the France national team should they flop at World Cup 2018.There have also been links to Paris Saint-Germain, where he could go as a sporting director to work with head coach Thomas Tuchel.last_img read more