News Organisation September 17, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Trainee become 11th journalist to be murdered this year in Mexico News April 28, 2021 Find out more NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Reporters Without Borders is appalled by yesterday’s fatal shooting of a newspaper photographer in Ciudad Juárez, a troubled city on Mexico’s northern border with the United States. He was the 11th journalist to be murdered in Mexico this year.Luis Carlos Santiago Orozco, a trainee photographer with El Diario, a local daily, was shot dead in his car by unidentified gunmen in the car park of a shopping centre located near the newspaper. Carlos Sánchez Colunga, a fellow trainee photographer with the same newspaper, sustained serious gunshot wounds in the attack and is reported to be in a serious condition.The shooting was carried out shortly before 3 p.m. in the outside parking area of the Rio Grande shopping centre by gunmen who immediately left. According to initial reports, it bore all the hallmarks of a contract-style killing carried out on behalf of one of Mexico’s warring drug cartels.Reporters Without Borders offers its condolences to the family of Santiago, who had just turned 21. Its thoughts are also with Sánchez and hopes he will have a speedy recovery.The motive for the attack is unclear. The newspaper had not received any threats and the two victims were just trainees and were not working on any particular story. Editor Pedro Torres said Santiago started work as a trainee in May and was due to have been hired as full employee on 20 September. Sánchez began working as a trainee a few weeks ago. They had just spent the morning following a photography course at the newspaper. “They were not covering any event,” Torres said. “We do not know who could be behind this attack.”The level of violence and mayhem is staggering in many parts of Mexico including Cuidad Juárez, where the death toll of the past two years is nearly 4,000. It affects the population in general and journalists in particular. Reporters Without Borders supports the call for special protection for journalists which Frank La Rue, the United Nations special rapporteur for freedom of expression, made during a visit to Mexico last month.Reporters Without Borders also urges President Felipe Calderón’s government to revise its plan for combating impunity, which continues to be ineffective as yesterday’s tragedy has again shown. Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Jean-François Julliard raised the problem of protecting journalists, especially in countries such as Mexico, during a meeting in June with UN high commissioner for human rights Navanethem Pillay.Santiago’s murder came just 20 days after a change of government in Chihuahua, the state in which Ciudad Juárez is located. It was also nearly two years after the 13 November 2008 murder of El Diario reporter José Armando Rodríguez. The investigation into Rodríguez’s murder never produced any results, despite Chihuahua attorney general Patricia González Rodríguez’s promises.El Diario editor Pedro Torres told Reporters Without Borders he hoped the investigation into Santiago’s death might lead somewhere because “unlike Armando’s murder, which took place outside this home, this time it took place in a public place with surveillance cameras and in the presence of witnesses.”A total of 68 journalists and media workers have been killed in Mexico since 2000, while another 11 have gone missing since 2003. Mexico is one of the most dangerous countries in Latin America for press freedom and one of the deadliest places in the world for journalists. Help by sharing this information May 5, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts May 13, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Mexico MexicoAmericas News to go further Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state RSF_en Reports 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies MexicoAmericas
TAGSDr Emmet KerinGP’s violentlimerickmedical cardnagppatients Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Previous articleLimerick City Christmas car parks now open to publicNext articleChildren benefitting from Limerick family support service Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. NewsLimerick GP reveals how violent patients are passed on without warningBy Bernie English – December 9, 2017 3302 Facebook Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Email Linkedin Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival WhatsApp Print Advertisement Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Limerick GP Dr Emmet KerinVIOLENT and abusive patients, who have been dropped by GP’s for the safety of staff and other patients are simply handed over to other doctors with no warning, the Limerick president of the national organisation for family doctors has revealed.Dr Emmet Kerin, President of the National Association of General Practitioners (NAGP), said that he has experienced violence and threats in the Treaty Clinic practice which he shares and knows that such problems are experienced by many other GPs.“Attacks and threats happen far more frequently than you might think,” Dr Kerin told the LImerick Post.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up While private patients make their own arrangements about transferring between GPs, medical card holders have to be registered on a particular GP’s list.“If someone behaves violently or threateningly towards the doctor or the practice staff, they may be dropped from that doctor’s list but they have to be transferred to another doctor. At present, the HSE just sends that person to another practice without any warning that there is a history of violence,” said Dr Kerin.The NAGP wants the HSE to devise a pathway to help both doctors and patients ensure that people get the care they are entitled to.“It’s a huge conflict. A doctor can ask that a patient be taken off his their list because of aggressive behaviour but that can take a long time to process. In the meantime, that person is still a patient and a doctor has a duty of care to them,” he explained.What Dr Kerin and the NAGP want is a solution based on the UK model, where there are certain clinics reserved for patients who have been known to be violent, with security guards and other supports in place.“We have many community facilities in Limerick where there is already security on-site. We could look at utilising those, perhaps with doctors attending on a rota. We need the HSE to talk to us about this”.“It’s very traumatic, particularly for staff when a patient is in the surgery making threats. I’ve had to deal with patients who are being aggressive with a waiting room full of patients, from children to elderly people.”He said aggression towards GPs and front line staff is just one of a number of problems that needs fresh thinking.“GPs have an agreement that dates back to the 1950s – it needs to be updated,” he added. Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR
Authorities Back to overview,Home naval-today US Navy to christen future USNS Burlington (T-EPF 10) View post tag: USNS Burlington View post tag: Austal The US Navy is set to christen its newest expeditionary fast transport ship in a ceremony at Austal’s Mobile, Alabama, shipyard on February 24.The future USNS Burlington, designated T-EPF 10, will be the first ship in naval service to honor Burlington, Vermont’s largest city. The first Navy ship Burlington (PF-51) was named for Burlington, Iowa, and served during World War II.“This ship honors Burlington, Vermont, a city that embodies American values and its patriotic, hardworking citizens for their support and contributions to our Navy,” said Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer. “Burlington, like the other ships in the EPF program, will provide our commanders high-speed sealift mobility and agility.”With an all-aluminum shallow-draft hull, the EPF is a commercial-based catamaran capable of intra-theater personnel and cargo lift.EPF class ships are designed to transport 600 short tons of military cargo, 1,200 nautical miles, at an average speed of 35 knots. The ship is capable of operating in shallow-draft ports and waterways, interfacing with roll-on/roll-off discharge facilities and on/off-loading a combat-loaded Abrams main battle tank (M1A2).The EPF includes a flight deck for helicopter operations and an off-load ramp that will allow vehicles to quickly drive off the ship. EPF’s shallow draft (under 15 feet) further enhances littoral operations and port access.The EPF program delivered its ninth ship late last year, USNS City of Bismarck (T-EPF 9). Puerto Rico (EPF 11) and Newport (EPF 12) are currently under construction at Austal’s shipyard. US Navy to christen future USNS Burlington (T-EPF 10) View post tag: US Navy February 23, 2018 Share this article
Regional economic inequality in Croatia is visible, among other things, in the labor market, they point out from the Croatian Chamber of Commerce, based on the analysis of the labor market by counties.The Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) publishes the registered unemployment rate by counties (due to limited data on the number of employees) only once a year on 31 March. Although this situation is at the beginning of the pre-season when unemployment rates are higher, especially in coastal counties, these data can be used in comparing counties and the dynamics of change in this month compared to the same month in previous years. They show that the registered unemployment rate has a high range among counties.The analysis of available official statistics shows a large difference in unemployment rates between counties – the range from the minimum (City of Zagreb) to the maximum (Virovitica-Podravina County) rate in 2016 was 24,5 percentage points. In all counties, the unemployment rate has been falling for the last two years, and in Krapina-Zagorje, Karlovac, Varaždin and Zadar for the last three years.At the same time, the decline in the rate in all counties was influenced by a larger decline in the number of unemployed, associated with demographic and emigrant trends. At the same time, in none of the counties did the number of employees or pension insured persons increase compared to 2008. At the same time, the counties of Adriatic Croatia came closer to the levels from 2008 than Continental Croatia, mostly Lika-Senj and Zadar. Due to the uneven dynamics in the sphere of unemployment and employment, in all counties in 2016 a smaller number of persons in employment was recorded compared to 2008 (the smallest decrease was recorded in the City of Zagreb, and the largest in Koprivnica-Križevci County). At the same time, only two counties of Continental Croatia (Varaždin and Karlovac) and only one county of Adriatic Croatia (Zadar) in 2016 achieved lower unemployment rates than before the crisis.Side dish: Labor market – indicators by counties Related news: FINALLY FOUND SOLUTION AGAINST LACK OF LABOR IN TOURISM<br />
<a href=”https://bs.serving-sys.com/Serving/adServer.bs?cn=brd&pli=1074171063&Page=&Pos=-1477388646″ target=”_blank”><br />
<img src=”https://bs.serving-sys.com/Serving/adServer.bs?c=8&cn=display&pli=1074171063&Page=&Pos=-1477388646″ border=0 width=1280 height=200></a><br />
So O’Neill plans to speak to Hodgson, who has managed at three tournaments with England and Switzerland and sent O’Neill a message of congratulations. “It’s a new experience for me as a coach, for the players and for the association,” he said. “I’ll pick the brains of people like Roy Hodgson who have been to major tournaments, but maybe I’ll have to do that before the draw because they might not help us if we’re in the same group! “Roy sent me a lovely message complimenting all the players. He’s worked with five of our squad, and he named them and wished them all the best. “There’s a lot to do in terms of preparation and I’ll use the period wisely.” O’Neill is also pondering the possibility of checking in with Ireland’s rugby union team at the ongoing own World Cup. He has already visited them in the past to share information and methods and would be interested in seeing how they operate in the throes of a competition. “In the summer I spent the day with the Irish Rugby World Cup team. I looked at their preparations and how they do things at over Carton House,” he explained. Press Association Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill is hoping to benefit from the experience of England boss Roy Hodgson as he prepares for his country’s first major tournament in 30 years. O’Neill’s side finish their triumphant Euro 2016 campaign in Finland on Sunday night, with top spot in Group F still up for grabs but qualification assured. O’Neill’s assistant Jimmy Nicholl played in the 1982 and 1986 World Cups, but it is new ground for most at the Irish FA. “Maybe that’s something I would consider revisiting now they’re in the World Cup – their preparations and how they go about things. “I told the players earlier the preparation starts now.” Those preparations include the selection process for training camps in France, a process O’Neill did not get involved with personally for fear of tempting fate. Instead he deferred to the IFA’s head of international administration, David Currie. “It’s already under way and has been for quite some time,” said O’Neill. “UEFA ask for your preferred venues in July, so David has already been to see the venues. “I didn’t take any part in that because I didn’t want to get ahead of myself, b ut we have our selected venue and I’ll obviously go and see that as soon as possible.” Having already made history as the first ever Northern Ireland squad to reach a European Championship, O’Neill has set his side the task of adding another feather in their caps. No side has ever qualified having been drawn as a fifth seed but that both Northern Ireland and Iceland could now achieve such a feat. A point in Helsinki would be enough for O’Neill’s men to stay ahead of Romania at the Group F summit, and that means no experimental or sentimental team selections. “It’s been a great trip for us just to see the mood of the players since Thursday night, they’ve been in great form, but there is a focus in us as well,” he said. “We come wanting to win the game and the group – 23 points is an amazing tally to get to. “I’ll pick a team to win the game, simple as that. No one has said they could do with a rest and that’s great because we want competition for places. “We’re not going to hand out starting places easily and that’s what I’ve said to the players.” That means likely returns for seven-goal top-scorer Kyle Lafferty and midfielder Chris Baird, both suspended for the Greece match. Gareth McAuley and Oliver Norwood are also in line to play, completing a full house of 10 starts in the famous campaign.