The Latest: Nationals GM expects baseball season in 2020

first_imgFIFA previously said it will make substantial sums from its $2.7 billion reserves available in an emergency fund.___The German Cup soccer final has been postponed indefinitely and will likely take place without fans.The German soccer federation says the final will no longer be played on May 23 in Berlin as planned but it’s still sticking to a June 30 deadline to finish the season.Federation president Fritz Keller says “it is extremely unfortunate that in all likelihood this special game will have to take place in a stadium without spectators.” Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo expects there to be a 2020 major league season. Associated Press The International Olympic Committee is allocating more than $25 million to cover extra athlete and team costs related to the one-year postponement of the Tokyo Games.The IOC says an extra $15 million will go to a program helping 1,600 athletes from 185 less well-funded countries prepare for the games in 2021.More than $10 million is available for national Olympic bodies to cover additional operational costs such as travel and accommodation for officials.The money is being awarded through the Olympic Solidarity program. The program aims to help all 206 national Olympic teams and the refugee team send athletes to the games.___ The Latest: Nationals GM expects baseball season in 2020 Baseball has been on hold since last month because of the coronavirus pandemic, right along with most sports and other aspects of everyday life.Rizzo said on a conference call with reporters Friday: “I’m optimistic, as is the commissioner, that we’ll have baseball in 2020. I’m upbeat about that. The most important thing is to do it in the right way and the safest manner we can. But I believe that we will have baseball.”The GM said the owners of the World Series champions have committed to giving Nationals employees full salary and benefits through the end of May.___The president of the French soccer federation wants the season to restart with the two domestic cup finals followed by remaining league games. France is on lockdown until May 11 because of the coronavirus outbreak. The league is scheduled to restart on June 17 if the government allows it.French soccer federation president Noël Le Graët says he hopes “to resume the season and try to go to the end.”His new proposal is that the French Cup final be played either on June 13 or 20 with the League Cup final three days later and then the 10 league games.Le Graët says “this proposal wasn’t challenged.”___ There are also no dates for the postponed semifinals. They were originally scheduled to be played earlier this week with champion Bayern Munich hosting Eintracht Frankfurt and fourth-division club Saarbrücken welcoming Bayer Leverkusen.___France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris says resuming soccer leagues should not come at the expense of people’s health amid the coronavirus pandemic.Talks are ongoing in leagues around the world as to when the season can restart. South Korea’s K-League will kick off on May 8 in empty stadiums. The Bundesliga in Germany is discussing playing again on May 9.Lloris says “there’s so much at stake financially for clubs … But above all of that there is health.”center_img The nine men’s and nine women’s national teams were scheduled to play January-to-June annually.Games in the 2020 season were stopped because of the coronavirus pandemic. Germany has yet to play in the women’s competition while leader Argentina has played eight of its 16 games.The International Hockey Federation says the new time frame gives it the best chance “to deliver on broadcast and commercial partner agreements.”The subsequent season will run from September 2021 to the following June.___ England will try to reschedule its test series with the West Indies after announcing there will be no professional cricket played in the country until July 1 at the earliest because of the coronavirus pandemic.The inaugural season of The Hundred is due to start on July 17 and has not yet been canceled. The England and Wales Cricket Board has arranged a meeting for next week to discuss whether it can go ahead.No domestic competitions have been scrapped for this year.The ECB says the international season in England will now be played from July to the end of September. The three-test series against the West Indies that was due to start on June 4 has been postponed.ECB chief executive Tom Harrison says his organization is following advice from the government and health experts and that “our plan is to reschedule international matches as late as possible in the season to give the best chance of play.” FIFA says advance payments of $500,000 are being sent to member associations to cover running costs during the coronavirus pandemic.Each of the 211 member associations is entitled to $6 million from FIFA spread over the four-year World Cup cycle.FIFA says the next instalment due in July will now be paid in the coming days along with other payments due from last year.FIFA is easing some criteria required before being paid but the money is still subject to audit checks.FIFA president Gianni Infantino says the soccer body has a duty “to be there and support the ones that are facing acute needs.” April 24, 2020 Lloris plays for Tottenham in the Premier League. The team has nine matches remaining this season.Lloris says in an interview with Le Parisien newspaper that “if we have to finish the league without fans then we will.”But the World Cup champion adds that “soccer remains totally secondary given the current situation.”___The governing body of field hockey says it has extended the international Pro League seasons by one year to run through June 2021. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more

NBA: Toronto Raptors defeat New Orleans Pelicans in season opener

first_img Written By COMMENT 10 months ago NBA 2019-20: New York Knicks profile, roster and season schedule Also Read | NBA: Referees question travelling call on Rockets’ star James HardenNBA: Toronto Raptors vs New Orleans Pelicans match reportWith Derrick Favors and Brandon Ingram earning early points, the New Orleans Pelicans, had a well-maintained lead after the game started. However, Vanvleet, OG Anunoby, Pascal Siakam and Kyle Lowry closed the deficit by the time Q1 came to an end. Pelicans even gained a 25-19 lead, but Toronto Raptors made a comeback, ending Q1 with a three-point lead. Pelicans played well as the first half progressed, even gaining a 52-46 lead with around three minutes left to go. Ingram, as well as Lonzo Ball, earned crucial points for the Pelicans as first-half ended with a 61-56 advantage to the New Orleans Pelicans.Also Read | NBA News: New Orleans Pelicans to open season without Zion WilliamsonQ3 began with Vanvleet scoring early points for his team. The teams picked up their pace, delivering back-to-back three-pointers and trying to establish a lead. Ingram and Vanvleet continued to drain threes, and Q3 ended with Raptors having an 88-86 advantage. Vanvleet, Lowry and Siakam scored back-to-back points as the second half came to an end, the match going into overtime with a 117-117. Marc Gasol’s five points and Lowry’s three-point shot with under a minute to go earned Raptors a 130-122 victory. JJ Redick and Jrue Holiday scored the five points Pelicans earned during overtime. Also Read | NBA: Golden State Warriors shift base to Chase Center for new seasonAlso Read | NBA 2019-20: New York Knicks profile, roster and season schedule FOLLOW US SUBSCRIBE TO US 10 months ago NBA News: New Orleans Pelicans to open season without Zion Williamson Last Updated: 23rd October, 2019 12:43 IST NBA: Toronto Raptors Defeat New Orleans Pelicans In Season Opener Toronto Raptors triumph over New Orleans Pelicans in the NBA 2019-20 season opener on Wednesday, October 23 at the Scotiabank Arena, Canada (5:30 am IST). 10 months ago NBA: Golden State Warriors shift base to Chase Center for new season 10 months ago 10 storylines to follow in the 2019-20 NBA season WATCH US LIVE WE RECOMMEND First Published: 23rd October, 2019 12:43 IST The NBA 2019-20 season opened with the Toronto Raptors prevailing over the New Orleans Pelicans with a 130-122 overtime victory. The match took place on Wednesday, October 23 at 5:30 am IST at the Scotiabank Arena in Ontario, Canada. Pascal Siakam and Fred VanVleet scored 34 points each for Toronto Raptors, while Brandon Ingram was New Orleans Pelicans high-point scorer for the opening game with 22 points.  LIVE TV 10 months ago NBA: Toronto Raptors vs New Orleans Pelicans live streaming, schedule Devika Pawar last_img read more

LONGSHOT IRON ROB PROVES BEST IN $75,000 BAFFLE STAKES; RIDDEN BY GONZALEZ & TRAINED BY PAPAPRODROMOU, HE GETS 6 ½ FURLONGS ON THE MAIN TRACK IN 1:15.50

first_imgARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 21, 2016)–Supplemented at a cost of $1,500, longshot Iron Rob validated the investment with a half length win in Sunday’s $75,000 Baffle Stakes at 6 ½ furlongs. Originally scheduled for the hillside turf at the same distance, the Baffle was switched to the main track due to rainfall earlier this week. Ridden by Santiago Gonzalez and trained by George Papaprodromou, the      3-year-old Florida-bred colt by Twirling Candy got the distance in 1:15.50.Breaking from post position two in a field that was reduced to four sophomores by a pair of late scratches, Iron Rob sat a restrained second to favored Tiz a Billy around the far turn, took over a furlong out and won while eased up a bit at the wire.With no show wagering, Iron Rob, who was pulled up after the race on the Club House turn and did not return to the Winner’s Circle, was off at 5-1 and paid $13.60 and $3.80.“He’s fine,” said Papaprdromou. “He stumbled coming out of the gate. Santiago was holding him the whole way. Crossing the wire, he was holding him even. He jumped off because he didn’t want to have him keep galloping out or to have to jog back after.”Owned by Kretz Racing, LLC, Iron Rob, who broke his maiden two starts back going 5 ½ furlongs at Los Alamitos Dec. 4, got his second win from nine starts. With the winner’s share of $47,100, he increased his earnings to $110,520.Tiz a Billy, who took the lead coming out of the seven furlong chute, battled back late under Flavien Prat and finished 8 ½ lengths in front of He’s a Tiger. Off at 3-5, Tiz a Billy paid $2.60 to place.Fractions on the race were 22.07, 45.04 and 1:09.06.Racing resumes at Santa Anita on Thursday, with first post time at 1 p.m. Admission gates will open at 11 a.m.last_img read more